Close Before You Doze!

@adrienne This is so interesting to read/ hear about. When I was little I remember my mom never letting us sleep with the door closed because she was terrified of backdraft or of the metal doorknobs being too hot to open if there was a fire

@kparker10 Yeah I feel like it’s an important message to pass along because it’s definitely one of those things that isn’t exactly intuitive. Having no barriers between your room and your kids room totally feels like a safe thing to do!

@kparker10 Yeah, that’s what my parents always said to me too - “if there was a fire and your door was closed, how would we open a hot doorknob to get to you?”

We keep all doors closed at night now, but it’s a hard one to wrap my brain around sometimes still because that question is still running through my head.

@blueridgepearl I'd think if you're a parent knowing you needed to get your kid out of a burning house, you'd touch the doorknob and deal with the burns later, or you'd adrenaline-kick the door down (most interior doors aren't that hard to kick in anyway if you're reasonably strong and fairly determined). This seems like one of those things rational brains think about but adrenaline-fueled emergency brains are not gonna give two shits about when the prime directive is "get the kid."

@blueridgepearl If my kid was in the room I’d strip down naked & use my own clothes as an oven mitt if I had too

I mean how hot can the doorknob realistically be????? It’s not going to vaporise me on contact lol. If I had to grab it barehanded & be burned I would

@stayinfaith If it gets so hot that even using your shirt as a protective layer to open it doesn't help, you don't really want to go there anyway. It means the room is heavily on fire, and opening the door and giving the fire new dose of oxygen will quarter the time you have left.

But if I remember correctly from my training, a metal doorknob gets only slightly warm when the air in the next room is already very dangerously hot for you. For the knob to get burning hot, there would have to be inferno, so no, don't go there please.

@kparker10 If the doorknob is too hot to touch there is probably active fire in the room on the other side and it’s not the escape route you needed anyway. It’s better to stay put, stuff some clothes under the door, and get rescued out the window.

@adrienne I've seen local fire services here (East of England) spreading the same message.

In-laws clearly haven't paid attention to the warnings, they babysat our 3 year old last night & when they put her to bed they left her door open - and risked waking her up by watching the tv turned up too loud, and going in & check on her 🤦‍♀️
I promptly shut her door, but heard her coughing half an hour later and went into her, then found they'd also left her in her dressing gown - which was twisted around her chest, with one end of the belt over her shoulder 😬
Got that off her & she slept soundly for the rest of the night.

(Not totally surprised though - they're the same people who once complained to OH after I got pissed off at them, telling them for the third time in 3 days not to put the kids in car seats whilst wearing thick winter coats...)