Breastfed exclusively for 6 months. Is formula ok now?

@pchris I really wish that there was some studies done on the impact of social media on maternal health and safety knowledge. It’s absolutely baffling how much misinformation drives in mom-baby circles around topics like breastfeeding and co-sleeping.

I have seen parents ardently encouraged to never give into formula even when their baby has received a failure to thrive diagnosis from a pediatrician who has actually examined the child. There’s a lot of “natural” advice and remedies, like amber teething necklaces, promoted that are acutely dangerous to a child’s health.

@lethimhear Yep and likewise breastfeeding over solid - the amount of infants I see that haven’t so much as tasted a smidge of solids at 8/9 months ‘because breast is best’ is so worrying, such a disservice to children. Also on the hand, the absolute lack of breastfeeding help and support in some areas is tragic too.

@endquote I had to stop myself. My son has been on formula since birth. I was able to pump some but ultimately had to stop for my mental health.

These narratives just shame moms who choose or have to use formula.

@reeses Yeah my Prozac-laced breastmilk isn’t gonna be better for my kids compared to formula, and I wouldn’t be comfortable using donor milk because I’ve seen the way some people approach food safety in their homes…

@olamide I switched to formula at 7 months with my youngest. I don't remember all the research but in practice the one change was that I could stop supplementing her vitamin d.

Edited because I got iron and vitamin d confused.

@olamide I was literally formula fed from birth. No diabetes, never overweight and healthy. And that was a long time ago when formula was probably mostly sugar lol formula is much more advanced now. I have a 9 month old I EBF. But if I needed to or wanted to I wouldn’t hesitate to give him formula.

@gehrdc I'm the same (formula fed, not overweight or diabetic) but remember that anecdotal evidence isn't what OP is looking for here. Even if it did increase the risk of diabetes, there would naturally be people who didn't get it

@olamide There are no risks per se, that wouldn’t be risks for all new introductions. Your baby could potentially be allergic to dairy and therefore that could show up with formula, but you should be feeding your baby dairy during the weaning process anyway. If you’re doing formula in a cup with meals then there is little to no risk of nipple confusion or breast aversion. Breastfeeding is wonderful, but so is formula feeding. Make your own choices based on what works best for you and your family!

@olamide I had to stop breastfeeding at six months. I got Covid and the flu at the same time and it was just a recipe for disaster with my already difficult work schedule.

I really beat myself up about it. However, my baby is now 11 months old and hasn’t gotten sick once. My husband and I both work in the medical field and are sick all the time with minor viruses. I was worried about that.

So I feel like breastfeeding for six months did its job. She has a great immune system and is doing very well developmentally. Formula feeding also made her sleep longer at night which in turn has helped me out tremendously with my health.

Do what’s best for you and your family and don’t beat yourself up about the rest. Little anecdote here, I was formula fed. I’m healthy as a horse, was an A+ student, athlete, everything you could want in a child. My brother was breastfed and has had many medical issues, allergies, had to be physically dragged through school, and just in general is a hot mess. The only thing he fared better in is that he didn’t have to have braces lol.

@darw Meanwhile, I breastfed for the same length of time and my son is perpetually ill with one cold or another.

As you sort of point out, anecdotal evidence isn't data.