Breastfed exclusively for 6 months. Is formula ok now?

@reforming1969 In general, sure, if you want to be nitpicking, it’s the water, however the formula needs to be mixed with water and is not drinkable/consumable unless mixed with water.
Beside that, there were however incidents with the actual formula powder in China where Babies died, that’s why Chinese visitors in Europe buy formula in large amounts in European drugstore and there are signs in Chinese that the amount of packages one single person is allowed to buy is limited.

@olamide Formula was always ok. Breast milk is great if you can make it work for your family. Modern formula is a miraculous and life-saving product. There are newer (expensive!) formulations with DHA, lutein, and oligosaccharides to more closely resemble breast milk. Similac pro advance and enfamil a+ have these included.

@myownmynativeland No, in Canada it’s called similac pro advance but I can see that it’s got the same formulation as 360 total care in the US. Thanks for the heads up! Looks like pro advance is either cancelled or a step down from 360 care in the states?

@olamide OP—here’s some actual science for you. Formula doesn’t cause diabetes nor are there any discernible long-term health differences between formula fed and breast fed babies once you adjust for socio-economic status.

Nonetheless, the general consensus is that breast milk provides the most “benefits” during the first 4-6 months of life.

The AAP has a study that shows some benefits (table 2) using an “ever” vs never breastfed comparison but it’s not adjusted for socioeconomic status and therefore it doesn’t really make a lot of sense (like it doesn’t make sense that one instance of breastfeeding (an “ever”) would result in a 40% decrease of some disease). https://publications.aap.org/pediat...ding-and-the-Use-of?autologincheck=redirected

What we do know from the sibling studies and PROBIT, is there is really no discernible or lasting difference in health or intelligence outcomes between formula fed and breastfed babies. So do whatever works best for you, your mental health and your family.

Here’s one sibling study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4077166/

Breastfeeding rates in the U.S. are socially patterned. Previous research has documented startling racial and socioeconomic disparities in infant feeding practices. However, much of the empirical evidence regarding the effects of breastfeeding on long-term child health and wellbeing does not adequately address the high degree of selection into breastfeeding. To address this important shortcoming, we employ sibling comparisons in conjunction with 25 years of panel data from the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth (NLSY) to approximate a natural experiment and more accurately estimate what a particular child’s outcome would be if he/she had been differently fed during infancy.

Results from standard multiple regression models suggest that children aged 4 to 14 who were breast- as opposed to bottle-fed did significantly better on 10 of the 11 outcomes studied. Once we restrict analyses to siblings and incorporate within-family fixed effects, estimates of the association between breastfeeding and all but one indicator of child health and wellbeing dramatically decrease and fail to maintain statistical significance. Our results suggest that much of the beneficial long-term effects typically attributed to breastfeeding, per se, may primarily be due to selection pressures into infant feeding practices along key demographic characteristics such as race and socioeconomic status.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0277953614000549

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1361236/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34445041/

The study did not identify any significant association between breastfeeding practices and obesity in childhood when adjusted for relevant confounding factors (p > 0.05). It is likely that sociodemographic and lifestyle factors associated with breastfeeding practices may have an impact on childhood obesity.

And from 2019: The association between the duration of breastfeeding and child development was not statistically significant in the model with the inclusion of confounding variables.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30829342/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352827318300223

We were able to replicate findings from prior research that linked breastfeeding with positive infant health outcomes (Ip et al., 2007), and this finding persisted even when controlling for a rich set of observable characteristics. However, the inclusion of the prenatal intentions variable fully accounted for this initial association. Mothers who intended to breastfeed but did not actually breastfeed had infants with statistically equivalent ear infections, RSV episodes, and incidents of antibiotic usage in the first year of life compared to infants who were breastfed. It is particularly striking that prenatal intentions were strongly linked with infant health irrespective of whether the infant was actually breastfed. This indicates that the omission of this variable from models quantifying the “effect” of breastfeeding on infant health outcomes make breastfeeding appear overly protective, and further suggests the importance of accounting for maternal advantage in future research. This finding is consistent with a growing body of literature suggesting that the benefits of breastfeeding are overstated due to positive maternal selection bias (Colen and Ramey, 2014, Der et al., 2006, Evenhouse and Reilly, 2005).

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37375684/ Longitudinal models did not show associations between breastfeeding and the respective allergies from 5 to 20 years of age.

Additional easier to digest research here:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/everybody-calm-down-about-breastfeeding/amp/

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/how-important-is-breastfeeding-really/#:~:text=OSTER%3A%20One%20of%20the%20real,this%20if%20they%20want%20it.

@lostchildinthemidst Excellent comment. One other piece I wish we knew more about: we know there are effects of maternal anxiety on the infant. For me, breastfeeding (specifically, pumping at work) caused a huge amount of anxiety and stress. I figured at some point, that anxiety had to outweigh the benefits of exclusively feeding human milk.

In my experience, lactation consultants always talk about the “breastfeeding dyad,” but seem to focus on the “benefits” to the infant while overlooking the potential detrimental effects on the parent. Especially for parents who work outside the home, feeding human milk has a significant cost.

@sarebear1992 Hm, out of interest I grabbed one of your links at random (this one: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34445041/). More context from the authors seems pertinent…

“In spite of the solid evidence demonstrating major health benefits associated with BF, including risk reduction for overweight and obesity, breastfeeding remains still well below the global goal of 50% EBF at 2025 [33,34,35]. Our data represent the BF practices and related factors corresponding to the year 2012 but are in agreement with other recent survey analyses indicating less than satisfactory breastfeeding practices in many European countries [36]. In our sample, only 6.3% of children were exclusively breastfed during the 6th month”

“Children who were exclusively BF throughout the first three months of life were less likely to become overweight at preschool age when adjusted for country, age and gender, mother’s pre-pregnancy age and BMI.

The odds to become overweight at preschool age among children who were BF for 4–6 months is 0.87 and 0.31 for the EBF and solids introduction at 4–6 months in comparison to the formula milk feeding, when adjusted for mother’s characteristics (age and BMI before pregnancy, smoking habits during pregnancy, country, SES and gender of children). Thus the effect size for breastfeeding effects on later obesity in our study, although non-significant, is in the same order of magnitude as found in reviews and meta-analyses [15,16,17,18]. Our results also show a protective role of any breastfeeding against obesity and overweight, with 13% less risk at any BF of 4–6 months, and 69% for overweight and 12% for obesity at EBF and solid foods introduction for six months, compared to exclusive formula feeding. These results agree with the reported 26% decrease of the odds of overweight or obesity with any BF in 113 studies [23]. Also, infants fed formula during the first 4–6 months have a higher prevalence of overweight and obesity in preschool age (Table 4). Possible mechanisms for this relationship may include the different macronutrient composition of breast milk and formula, in particular the lower protein supply with breast milk [18], and potentially the presence of bioactive substances like ghrelin, leptin, insulin-like growth factor-1, adiponectin in human milk but not in formula [41]. There is published evidence that feeding formula milk has an accelerating effect on infant weight, height, body fat, apparently mediated through high levels of protein (the “early protein hypothesis”) [18] and lower appetite control of bottle-fed infants [15,20,42,43]. Moreover, a recent study reported that formula feeding in the early life of infants small for their gestational age is related to prospective overweight in preschool age, but only among girls [44]. Breastfeeding also modulates the physiological development of the digestive tract [45] and intestinal colonization [46], which might contribute to risk reduction for obesity in later life [47]. However, our results also show significant confounding of the association of breastfeeding and later overweight by low SES that is linked to both less breastfeeding success and more overweight. A more detailed analysis of the relationship between SES and overweight/obesity prevalence in children participating in the ToyBox study was previously published [32]. In the current analysis, SES is included as a confounder for which the analysis has been adjusted.”

Among the authors’ conclusions:
“The findings of less than desirable breastfeeding rates and duration underline the need for enhanced protection, promotion, and support of breastfeeding throughout Europe. Particularly intensive efforts are necessary for populations with low breastfeeding rates and duration based on geographic region and other risk markers such as lower education and socioeconomic class, tobacco smoking, parental overweight and obesity [5,36]; short duration of maternity leave, psychological factors as maternal perceived stress and postpartum depression [53].”

@syneryder I mean the authors bottom line conclusion is: “The study did not identify any significant association between breastfeeding practices and obesity in childhood when adjusted for relevant confounding factors (p > 0.05). It is likely that sociodemographic and lifestyle factors associated with breastfeeding practices may have an impact on childhood obesity.”

@sarebear1992 I know. I think the additional text is also informative. I elected to just copy/paste rather than attempt to summarize so the interested reader can gather more of what the authors wrote/published without tracking down the full-text article. If I wasn’t at all familiar with the research, the responses to this post as a whole would lead me to conclude it’s a pretty much open-and-shut research question and there is no benefit to breastfeeding. My overall read of the literature, however, does not comport with that conclusion. I think it’s a nuanced topic with varying evidence on all sides, so I wanted to add some additional context that may be helpful.

@syneryder I don’t think anyone is saying there are NO short term benefits, but the most comprehensive studies with long cohorts all seem to conclude that whether formula or breastfed doesn’t have lasting and noticeable impacts on a person’s health or intelligence once accounting for socio-economic status. So if you’ve already made it 6 months (as OP has) there’s nothing wrong it’s switching to formula and no “harm” to your child from doing so.

And it’s worth noting that in the U.S. only about 25% of babies are exclusively breastfed at 6 months. If breastfeeding had all these clear and definitive health benefits we should see it among that cohort, but we don’t—not once accounting for socio-economic status.

@sarebear1992 I disagree that no one is saying there are no benefits. People are acting like OP is insane for questioning, for example, the implications for diabetes risk re formula vs breast milk. Plenty of data exist to at least make that a reasonable question to ask, but you wouldn’t know it based on many of these responses.

Secondly, 110% agree that the extant research suggests that OP’s baby won’t have any appreciable risk whatsoever to switching to formula at this point. Indeed, 6 months EBF is already close to a statistical anomaly. She may reap some verrry minimal protection against select maternal diseases with continued breastfeeding, but the same could be said for a number of lifestyle factors, including reduction of stress. So if formula would make things easier for her, I absolutely endorse switching. Again, this is nuanced and I hate all of the downvotes she’s getting for asking the VERY SAME questions that researchers are asking (i.e., will switching to formula increase risk of metabolic dysfunction). These are fair questions despite what most commenters think. I guess it’s just a fraught issue and that’s totally fair.

ETA: for the record, modern formula is safe and lifesaving for so many. No doubt there. But, I got the impression OP was interested in hearing about the optimal versus appropriately safe course of action, which is a more complex/interesting scientific question.

@syneryder
My overall read of the literature, however, does not comport with that conclusion

The point the upper comment was making is that because the studies you linked are observational, you cannot make any causal statements that breastfeeding actually is causing those outcomes.

@texfire316 The studies I linked above? I did not select the article that I pulled from (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34445041/). So if you have a concern regarding the study design, take it up with the upper, upper comment from which it comes. I pulled and quoted from the article cited by whyisthefloor because the authors seem to have taken the quite unusual step of interpreting statistically non-significant results, perhaps given a fairly substantial observed effect size, and placed those findings in context with the existing literature (e.g., "These results agree with the reported 26% decrease of the odds of overweight or obesity with any BF in 113 studies [23]"). Notably, those results were "when adjusted for mother’s characteristics (age and BMI before pregnancy, smoking habits during pregnancy, country, SES and gender of children)." (emphasis mine)

In fact, given the concern of confounding variables, the interested reader is even directed to another article: " A more detailed analysis of the relationship between SES and overweight/obesity prevalence in children participating in the ToyBox study was previously published [32]. In the current analysis, SES is included as a confounder for which the analysis has been adjusted." (emphasis again mine) ---now, I don't mean to imply that adjusting for SES is adequate for capturing related confounding variables. Indeed, I have repeatedly argued the exact opposite, but I do still feel it is worth emphasizing.

...ultimately, it seems unlikely that the authors of the article (that, again, was cited in this discussion initially by someone ELSE) would conclude the entire effect can be entirely explained by confounding variables, but rather, that confounding variables are indeed also impacting the results. The authors go on to offer recommendations for improving breastfeeding rates. Again, I'm all for a discussion of highlighting limitations of various studies in the extant literature, including concerns regarding causality, but I was simply surprised by the full-text of that article given the way it was initially cited in the above comment. I thought more context would be helpful.

My bottom line remains unchanged: this is a nuanced topic and I understand why OP was concerned and sought out additional information. Do I believe there are any meaningful risks in switching to formula at 6 months? Absolutely not. Does the OP deserve to be repeatedly downvoted for sharing her very real concerns--concerns that continue to be the subject of investigation by experts in the field? Also no.

Saying "you cannot make any causal statements that breastfeeding actually is causing those outcomes" (as you did) is categorically different from "Formula doesn’t cause diabetes nor are there any discernible long-term health differences between formula fed and breast fed babies once you adjust for socio-economic status" (as stated in the heavily upvoted top-level comment to which I replied). The latter is possibly true but I contend remains the subject of scientific inquiry about which intelligent people may slightly disagree. That's all.

@nimbus This thread is absolutely insane - that poor mum who felt awful about supplementing her premature baby with high calorie formula.

Edit: typos