When is it okay to rough house?

@red00shift I was studying psychology in Ontario when he started gaining a following. He was a reasonably respected behavioural psychologist before he became whatever the heck he is now. It's not surprising that he has decent advice when he sticks to his area of expertise.

But even ignoring what he's done to a generation of young men, his newer books kinda ignore the research methodology he used to respect. Plenty of other psychologists with good advice.

@tepseek89 Can you expand on what you mean by what he's done to a generation of young men? I find him fairly reasonable on most issues, but don't agree on everything he says. But would generally say his work helps young men. He's not in Andrew Tate territory.

@clarabel 0 to 6 months growl and raspberries

my kid is 11 months now I I tickle, dangle, toss very gently, "drop," and stuffy attack. he especially enjoys getting attacked by squishmellows.

@clarabel It’s just so damn fun for both of us, my boy is 19 months now and he actively engages me in rough housing, once I get the upper hand and have him on the floor tickling and snuffling him he’ll be giggling maniacally, as soon as he says “daddy stop, daddy stop” I stop and let him get up and he’ll pretend he’s walking off, look at me out the corner of his eye with a big cheeky grin and then charge me giggling his head off.
The roughest I go is gently throwing him on the bed or dragging him across the floor slowly by his legs.
The line that sets him off most is I’ll crawl towards him doing a silly growl and say “The cuddle monster is going to get you” that’s when he knows it’s on and starts giggling and powering up.
Dude I love it, I can’t wait to he’s old enough to properly play fight, I used to love that with my Dad.
But yeah, I think 6 months is when we started a bit of very gentle rougher play, and he found it super funny so we’ve just gradually ramped up the intensity as he’s got bigger and more active.
It’s definitely good for him, I feel like it makes him feel more confident in his body and helps him to connect movement with having fun. It’ll also teach him appropriate levels of aggression in play and safe boundaries.

@odeltaple Keep up that rhythm of immediately stopping when he says "stop." Gotta have the fun rough housing, but also gotta teach limits, boundaries, and consent. Comes in handy when it's your turn to ask him to stop being so physical/is pushing an unsafe boundary