Okay, talk to me about baby eczema

@dennyissmith Baths without soap like mentioned, and add a little breast milk. Its a bit pricy, but I have been amazed by Tubby Todd all over ointment. Look up @Karrie_Locher on Instagram, she has a discount code

@dennyissmith We have luck with baths no soap, cetaphil wash when we do need it, cerave creme and vanicreme immediately after bath and on problem patches, and if a new patch comes up zap it 1-3 days with cortisone cream (maybe that won't work until the flare ups have gone down some). Natural oils and such didn't make any impact really, just the hypoallergenic dermatologist recommended stuff. Same things I use for my eczema.

Ours is mainly situated in diaper - sensitive to pee so we use diaper cream for every overnight diaper, and cheeks when they started eating or teething. All over may mean soap or fragrance, which you are playing around with.

If diet and you're trying to eliminate dairy, keep in mind it can take 4-6 weeks to get it out of your system and another 2 weeks for LO system.

@dennyissmith Mine developed eczema around 4 months old. I was already dairy free at that point. We later realized it was eggs. He has an allergy. Babies with moderate to severe eczema are more likely to have allergies. I think cutting dairy would be a great first step.

@arcval Had the same experience, kiddo had terrible eczema and later was diagnosed with egg allergy. No cream was going to fix it because I eat eggs every day and was breastfeeding!

@hope4ul I'm dealing with this now. I cut out eggs and dairy. But my daughter started having the skin issues at 4 months. I had been eating eggs for her whole life before that. Would it start 4 months later? Im having a hard time figuring out her triggers.

@firstfridays Definitely cutting out foods to help calm her immune system down. No dairy, gluten, eggs, soy, corn, nuts, etc. Mostly the top 8. Got allergy tested and removed those! No fragrances at home. Also, healing the gut! Her eczema is much better when we took the natural healing route. If you're interested in natural healing, look up the erasing eczema Facebook page and there are a ton of resources.

@dennyissmith We used Aveeno baby oatmeal baths and the Mustela brand cleanser (expensive, but it worked). We lotioned immediately after baths (YORO Manuka honey balm) and then into PJs. I also bought a bath thermometer to make sure his water was as close to body temp as possible, and limited the amount of time he was in the water. After all else failed we got a steroid cream from the Pediatrician and after two rounds of that he cleared up for good.

@dennyissmith I will say I’m shocked by all of the aveeno recommendations- aveeno made my eczema baby 10000 times worse. We couldn’t find anything that worked- even by cutting eggs, dairy, and nuts from my diet (EBF). Her cheeks were raw, oozing, and her hands looked like hamburger meat. Scratching and screaming and bleeding in her sleep. It was a nightmare that started at about 4-5 months only and peaked around a year. Ours (I think) was an extreme case compared to others but here is what worked for us:

-switching to cloth diapers (reactions to every brand of disposable!

-tide free and gentle powder detergent (other free and clear’s broke her out)

-warm baths with added ACV, Dead Sea salt, and occasionally magnesium flakes. NO SOAP. The ACV cleans/rebalanced her skins PH and the sea salt helped soften and heal the open spots.

-we saw a pediatric allergist who prescribed a compounded antibiotic/steroid cream. Soooo many people want to avoid steroids, but this particular compound is heavily diluted. The antibiotic to kill off the bad bacteria and the steroid to kickstart healing. We now only use the compound to spot treat, which is rare.

-we ONLY use Keys tortuga lotion and keys Island RX soap on her body (aside from the compound). She’s almost 3 now and she’s been completely clear since just before her 2nd birthday. It seems like a lot, but imagine the trial and error it took for us to even get there! Best of luck to you- eczema is a bastard and a half.

@dennyissmith As an adult with eczema, I say ditch the coconut oil. That shit makes everything worse!!! Natural does not always mean good! I have had good results from the babo baby lotion, but a lot of lotions are problems because of the alcohol, or (this is my opinion) the water content, which can sting, then lead to more drying when the water content evaporates. Eczema skin is basically like the new skin that appears when a burn is healing and there's no protective barrier in place. Often, a more ointment-like treatment is the way to go. My vegan heart hates to admit this, but lanolin has been quite helpful- it is the closest thing to human skin's own sebum.

@dennyissmith My baby had severe eczema. I mean SEVERE. I tried everything. The bathing and lotioning constantly, did not seem right and took away from everybody's quality of life.

Switched to Dr. Bronners Baby Castile soap for baths, bathed only once a week at most, and did not use any lotions except random lotion right after bathing when skin was warm and moist. It seemed as though by magic, most of it went away.

Then I switched to a partially hydrolyzed (partially digested basically) formula (couldn't breastfeed) and the rest went away 100%. I don't know if this helps, but, I thought I'd share because these changes erased our eczema problems and I also tried them because of Reddit.

The formula is Similac Total Comfort by the way, and now Amazon brand Comfort since LO likes it and it's cheaper. Partially hydrolyzed formula is much easier to digest and does not cause inflammation like regular or lactose free.

@heshani1999 So it’s not Hypoallergenic formula (that one didn’t make a difference)

It is “hydrolyzed” which are called the “Gentle” formulas in the store, as the particles are broken down already for easier digestion. Hope this helps 😊

@dennyissmith I just stuck with creams and stopped him from itching - mittens etc.

Is he bothered by it? If not then just gentle cream as you are doing. It might just be new skin getting used to being exposed to stuff.

@dennyissmith Baths every day in lukewarm water. Non-soap soap only. I add 5 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to kill bacteria on the skin. Cover the baby in ointment (this is the most important step! OINTMENT, not lotion!), I use CeraVe healing ointment, IMMEDIATELY after the bath to seal in the moisture. This method is called soak and seal.

I also use a typical steroid (derma smoothe) to get things under control if he has a break out.

@dennyissmith Aveeno baby excema nighttime (in the tub not the tube!!). That goes on any patches multiple tjmes a day (when it’s really bad we made a habit of every diaper change)

But if lotions aren’t making progress your dr can give you prescription cream that makes a world of difference! (Hydrocortisone in aquaphor is amazing! Or even just aquaphor is a really great barrier on top of the lotion)

@dennyissmith Aveeno makes a line of baby products for eczema. They all contain colloidal oatmeal which is very soothing. We use the eczema lotion in a tube (someone else suggested the one in a tub, they have same colloidal oatmeal content percentage but the tub also has mineral oil I believe) and we do weekly aveeno oatmeal baths. The ones for babies are a little pricier, and have oatmeal plus mineral oil. The ones for adults are pure oatmeal. Both are ok to use on baby, we prefer the baby one as it makes her skin much softer and is easier to clean out of the tub.

@dennyissmith It fucking blows. My older had it so bad when he was little I thought it was a rash. It took three different visits before a doctor looked at it and told me it was eczema.

I use Aveeno baby lotion (on my 6yo) when he tells me he is “itchy”. I’ve been thinking about getting him CeraVe for his face.

My 3mo squish has a bath once a week(ish) and I put after bath massage oil on him and massage his little legs and arms and tootsies.

@dennyissmith I didn't use soap until my kids turned 1. Baths were once a week, they weren't getting dirty, and we had hot water issues because our landlord wouldn't fix the water heater.

I found a large issue was that EVERYTHING baby contains aloe (even "fragrance free" products), which is a common allergy in my family. I used lanolin or breast milk on any flares.

My son was allergic to spinach, which wasn't hard to cut from my diet, but outgrew it by a year old.

Back