Tired of “words I can’t pronounce”

@rosegold Omg, you are so right! The brand name of ibuprofen in my country is Brufen, so about 50% of people who ask for it, say “ibobrufen”. More than three syllables is definitely a challenge for most people!

@genxjeff My son has eczema so the dermatologist told us, less ingredients the better and preferably no food ingredients before they start solids.

https://www.abc.net.au/everyday/avoid-skincare-with-food-ingredients-child-eczema/100040570

The active ingredient you want to look for is Zinc Oxide or Titanium Dioxide in sunscreens.

The sunscreen we use literally has 2 ingredients. Active ingredient is zinc oxide, then a preservative. That's it.

Generally, we just look up the ingredients to figure out what it actually does. But for any skincare products, the general rule has been less the better and make sure it has the actual ingredient you need. Everything else is marketing.

@aldredian To clarify, our pediatrician said something similar, but she meant it in the context of the shorter the ingredient list, the more easily you’ll be able to figure out what ingredient caused a reaction if there is one.

@tigger45 We were originally using Sunsense Sensitive Visible but that's been discontinued. We still have the tube though so haven't gone about replacing it.

The other we've used is Banana Boat Sensitive - but there's a specific one where it just has Zinc Oxide - but again, I can't find it on their website. So discontinued as well? The closest one that I can find is this: https://www.bananaboat.com/products/banana-boat-sensitive-100-mineral-lotion-spf-50 - but that has a lot more inactive ingredients than what I recalled. I'll have to check when I pick my son up from daycare (the tube's in his bag). Unless this whole time, they never listed the inactive ingredients ^.^|||

Regardless, looks like I'm going to have to find a replacement soon once we've used up the ones we have.

The other one that the dermatologist have recommended or said that parents have said it works quite well is Moogoo 40+. My son doesn't like it though so we didn't end up using it.

@genxjeff Yea I'd love to take a survey of how many parents can confidently pronounce cyanocobalamin and then ask who feels comfortable giving their kids vitamin b12

Back