Tired of “words I can’t pronounce”

@genxjeff It's so embarrassing when people will point to an ingredient list exclaiming "ewww, I won't eat this, I don't even know what [half-assed attempt at pronunciation] is!" Like, ma'am, the entirety of human knowledge is at your fingertips, I promise you can crack this case.

@genxjeff It's a gross simplification of how to look out for "unnecessary additives" but as with all simplifications it has pros and cons. You won't see a lot of people in this community using it as a guideline, but to have it out there in the world making people who previously wouldn't have thought twice about what they feed to their children begin to actually consider it, isn't that a good thing? Simplifying something makes it more accessible to a lot of people.

I tend to just respond to people with "thanks for your concern, I will definitely research it further". (Unless I already know the answer in which case I'd say "I've actually done a lot of research on this, and I found _____"

@derealized Agreed. It’s a rule of thumb and more useful talking about food nutrition labels where often times ingredients are simply other known food items, as opposed to skincare, but the intention is valid.

But yes, people do take it too far.

@genxjeff I'm on a life saving medication that I could not pronounce until my doctor taught me. My options are literally take or it live 5ish years. You can learn to pronounce anything so take it as a challenge instead. Good thing is, Google will pronounce it for you.

@genxjeff It can only help them.

It’s not directly related, but your post reminded me of a short video I saw last night about a study related to children and language acquisition.

It explored how native speaking bilingual (fluently speaking 2 languages since infancy) children process sounds, phonetics and learn words and meanings; and, the differences in how their mind processes language in comparison to monolingual children and later in life bilingual children.

Theres a part that explains something about how all babies learn language, I’d give it a watch. I think, in a way, it supports the idea that exposing children to the sounds of words they don’t (yet) understand, as early as possible (even in utero), is not harmful, but in fact beneficial to their brain development. It creates neural pathways that strengthen that language acquisition “muscle”.

[sup]Sorry if it’s too off topic![/sup]

@genxjeff Wait, bar sunscreen?? Sorry, I’m new to this, baby is just now old enough for sunscreen… What brand of bar sunscreen do you use? I’ve never heard of a bar sunscreen before!

@holywarrior77 I use a bar by Neutragina. it looks like a little deodorant stick, it's super convenient and easy to apply and keep in my purse without spilling and making a mess.

Back