Tired of “words I can’t pronounce”

@genxjeff My MIL (whom I love, to be clear) cannot, for the life of her, pronounce the word chipotle correctly. “Chip-ol-tee,” every single time. Does that mean I can’t eat chipotle peppers anymore????!

@goldandsilver Oh man, my ex-MIL (who I struggled.with sometimes but wouldn't have minded keeping if it hadn't been a package deal with my ex) called it "Chih - pot - uhl." The poor lady had been taught to sight read as a child and not exposed to phonics until she was training to be a teacher herself (thankfully math) and whatever way she first thought to say a word would be the way she said it forever. No ability to adjust for some reason. Smart lady though. Just really bad at pronunciation.

@goldandsilver That’s my MIL and cilantro! 😂 she’s allergic and every time she is trying to tell the servers at a restaurant she can never pronounce it right. It usually ends up some version of cilantra. It’s so close 🤦🏽‍♀️

@genxjeff If I'm feeling spicy, I respond "Well sound it out then."

Really, though, I don't understand the mindset. Just because something is natural doesn't make it better. I asked my son's pediatrician about using my body wash, moisturizer, and sunscreen on him, and she said it's fine.

Baby has to get clean somehow. I use all hypoallergenic stuff on myself because I have bad eczema and allergies. I just bought a tear free shampoo for him. Bonus points are that his skin is looking better than mine these days.

@genxjeff On the flip size I have basic knowledge of biochemistry so I can pronounce most chemicals on a label but that doesn’t make them safe (or that I have any idea what they do)

FWIW I prefer to use mineral based sunscreens but like anything else there’s probably a trade off there (titanium dioxide isn’t great to get into lungs and eyes)

@godsson1988 Did some research on sunscreen during my materials engineering PhD. Personal opinion for me is only oxides before puberty (zirconia and titania), avoiding octinoxate and oxybenzone until after puberty. And never spray sunscreens due to inhalation. That’s probably erring very far on the side of caution and I’m definitely not going to tell anybody else what to do. Reason for my decision here is the latter are endocrine disrupters and it does look like they can penetrate the epidermis at sufficiently high volumes that they are detectable in the blood stream, breast milk, and urine.

@plains Yeah, oxybenzene prevents uv damage in plastic so it’s used in a lot of food storage which is then absorbed by the food, among other introduction pathways. We’re going to have huge retrospective studies in the next few decades. Definitely recommend glass storage at home at least :(

@ozark63 affordable: baby bum mineral 50. Bonus benefit is they avoid nanoscale Titania/zirconia. ~$5/oz

Cosmetically elegant/no white cast: ulta MD uv elements or uv restore. ~$20+/oz

Back