Tipping Daycare Teachers

@johnsubira My daughter (3) goes to a large preschool that is known for paying their teachers really well. We kicked in $75 to the teacher gift pool organized by one of the parents.

My son (8m) goes to a small in-home daycare that undercharges by, honestly, a factor of 2. Those women are our family and we would give them each a kidney if they needed it. We're also very fortunate financially, so we give them A LOT every year. Still cheaper than lower quality childcare anywhere else.

@johnsubira I was a preschool teacher and the gifts that I liked the most were a 5-10$ Starbucks or dunkin gift card, some little candies and a handmade card from the kids. I never expected anything of course and certainly nothing over 10$.

@johnsubira Hi I'm a daycare teacher and though like everyone, at like gifts, we never expect them. One of my favorite things I got from a kid at me first center was a handmade ornament that still hangs on my tree after 6 years.

I quit teaching and just went back this year and I don't expect anything at all.

@johnsubira For teacher’s day I got both teachers $25 gift card and a card thanking them for being so great!
This Christmas I am getting them flowers with $25 gift card, since he is moving up a class at daycare (flowers from me, gift card from our toddler).
Our daycare is $2300 full time and I just can’t afford anything higher than $25/pp. but the teachers are truly amazing and i want to thank them in any way

@johnsubira Just my two cents as a former daycare center employee. I didn't reserve any judgments to parents that didn't bring in gifts for staff. I wouldn't put too much stress on yourself. Also, I don't remember the families who got me money/gift cards but I remember the families that gave me a nice blanket, some lotion, a Christmas card with a meaningful note.

@xclgreen It’s a Holiday gift, not really a “tip.” They work so hard and get paid next to nothing to spend time with my toddler all day so I give them cash at the holidays.

We also give our garbage man and cleaning ladies cash this time of year!

@johnsubira What about directors???

It sounds like everyone gifts teachers and floaters.

We have two directors who are very warm and greet us each day. Then, my daughter has three teachers, 2 floaters.

Does anyone give a gift to the directors, too?

@hughginn I’m doing a donation in the directors name this year with a thoughtful card. She is wonderful and doing so much great work - however she gets paid much more and I don’t feel comfortable gifting her a visa gift card like I am doing with the teachers.

@hughginn I feel like it gets so tricky trying to account for everyone. The director. The cleaning ladies. The cook who works hard at preparing the meals every day. Then we have 2 receptionists. I feel like I need to get one of those cash cannons or give no one anything

@hughginn I won't. Instead, I contribute to some of their initiatives that I have time for (thankfully I have time). For example, they've asked for volunteers to reach out to key state legislators to help advocate for childcare needs in our state with the funding cliff approaching. I figure that's a better gift than a gift card!

@johnsubira I did a $50 visa gift card and put them inside a customized tote bag for each of the 6 teachers last year. I’ll probably do a bit more this year, since he only has 3 teachers (and I’ll probably do a bit less for the floaters)

@johnsubira Our daycare put a sign on the door that says bring your gifts Monday 😅 I got $10 Starbucks cards. Come on now Christmas is expensive. And so is the daycare!

Back