Tipping Daycare Teachers

@johnsubira My son is in PreK 3 and has TWELVE teachers. His two primary will get nice gifts/gift cards ($50-$100). All others )floaters, stem, motor lab, etc) get smaller gift cards usually $10 or $15. My reasoning is that his two primary teachers only have 13 kids, but the others teach the whole lower school and will likely get more gifts. Plus they spend far less time with my kiddo.

@princev79 This is what we are doing too, $50 plus a nice box of chocolates for primary teachers. $10 each for floaters and admin. Plus we signed up to treat the teachers to breakfast one day the week before Christmas and everyone loves my homemade cinnamon rolls.

@johnsubira I have such a hard time with the floater thing because I don’t want to complicate it or appear to cheap out, but if everyone gifted the floaters the same, they’d make multiples of the regular teachers, which seems unfair. But on the other hand, maybe a lot of people gift nothing to floaters so it evens out?

I’m doing $50 in target gcs and will likely do the same for everyone. I bought 10 because I have 2 kids and haven’t matched out yet if I need all of them.

Another tricky thing is my toddler changed rooms just a few months ago, so do I include his previous teachers? Idk

@sabresong I do 50$ for teachers and 25$ for floaters. My daughter's class is 1:3 and she only has 6 kids in her class. The floaters support 3 classes and we are not as close with them. If 50% of the kids give them 25$, they'd get the same gift money as the main teachers.

I wouldn't give your child's old teachers a Christmas gift. Especially if they were in the previous class last Christmas or for teacher appreciation day.

@katrina2017 He just moved to the 18-36m room so we didn't give anything while he was in the 12-18m. One of the teachers he had in that room left so that just leave his other main one. I think I'll probably give her something, I think.

Good to know about the floaters. I should have gotten some smaller gift cards, gah

@johnsubira This thread is eye opening! Money is the tightest it's ever been for me and my family, we're gifting teachers (4+1 floater) a candy bar & $10 gift card. $75ish for the total gifts. Of course I wish it could be more, these teachers are an incredible part of my kids life, but its the best I can do right now.

Back