Telling Trainers/Coaches

louiedevon

I’ve been doing CrossFit for a few months, and I’m 4w+3 today. I want to tell my coaches that I’m pregnant, but my husband thinks I should wait. I don’t want to blab to everyone right away, but I feel like the coaches should know, so they know I’ll be doing modifications, or in case something happens in class. If you had coaches or trainers, how soon did you tell them?

I’m posting on r/CrossFit too.

@louiedevon Personally I told my trainer at about 6-7 weeks as I was struggling to make it to the gym due to the fatigue and nausea. While working out, I would also get winded pretty quick so wasn’t able to hit the weight numbers he was setting for me.

@louiedevon I told my PT when I found out, but that’s because she is a professional/medically trained and did end up having modifications and recommendations for me. If your CrossFit coaches don’t specialize in prenatal exercise you’re probably fine listening to your body and knowing your limits at this point.

@louiedevon I'm a runner, I told my coach around 10 weeks iirc. Some of my training runs were starting to feel tough, and I knew I'd be adjusting my goals for my upcoming races. Plus, my coach is virtual and my Garmin notes were increasingly referencing symptoms and how I was feeling, and I got tired of being opaque haha.

@louiedevon I told a couple of mine pretty early (8 or 9 weeks i think?) because I wasn't sure what sort of modifications I should be doing, when. I also was getting super winded pretty early in my pregnancy, though, so it helped them to know not too push me too hard. Just make sure you're listening to your body. Otherwise tell them when you're comfortable :)

Back