pUt ThE bAbY dOwN

@potluck45 One day they will no longer want to be held. Soak it in now and when people say that to you reply with thanks for the input but we are fine. Might be hard to say at first, might not get the best response initially but they will stop

@potluck45 I read there is absolutely no way to “spoil” your baby for the first year of their life. That is when they are learning about trust and that they can rely on you. According to my mom, I spoiled my oldest. Giving in to the crying and being right there for her if something was wrong. She is the smartest, go getter, NOT NEEDY little girl ever. Your doing what needs to be done for your baby to get some much needed sleep. You go mama! Hold that baby!

@potluck45 This is the worst. Hold your baby for however long you want. Love your baby. You’re not making a needy baby. Your baby will want their independence a little at a time in their own time. I don’t know anyone who napped in their parents arms as adults. Also, babies are generally needy because their abuse, regardless of what you do.

I also get irritated with people who think I need to be more productive, and use nap time to clean or do chores. I’m 6 months pregnant. I’m tired too. I watch tv and nap while baby naps. Sometimes I do some drawing or planning. But the dishes will get washed when the dishes get washed. Usually while my son eats lunch.

Do your thing. Hold that baby while they sleep.

@potluck45 Interesting grandparents say this, but the first thing they do when they visit is hold the baby. I started ignoring the outdated advice. They had their chance to parent, now it's our turn. You keep doing what you feel is best!

@potluck45 PIL and husband said the same thing to me right after baby was born. I just smile but never listen to them. The back of my husband’s head is flat, I guess they never held him. I don’t want the same thing happens to my baby and also baby grows up fast! I will hold my baby as long as I could.

@potluck45 You decide what is a problem for you. If it's a problem, you decide why and what you'd like to see, then you make a change. Not napping is a problem, napping in your arms is an acceptable solution for you, so that's that! At the point where it feels untenable, if that ever happens, then you decide how you want to make a change.

There's tons of attachment parenting/positive parenting research about stronger attachment leading to independent children just fine.

Back