"pUt YoUr BaBy DoWn GrOgGy BuT aWaKe"

@robert777 It’s lies, all lies. Mine’s 13 months and I still don’t see what was supposed to be so bad about feed to sleep. It worked great for us. We don’t have to do it anymore but we do still let her fall asleep on one of us and transfer her once she’s good and passed out.

@robert777 We lay with our baby til he's asleep but his grandmother does the whole put in crib when tired and walk away. It's annoying. We have so much more success waiting til he falls asleep than moving him

@robert777 It worked for our first but she is a wildly independent sleeper and always has been. She is 2.5 now and won't sleep on or near us. Only her big girl bed and only alone. But our 11 week old? Yeah feed to sleep and contact naps. Always.

@robert777 My husband insisted we try that upon his friend’s advice. For just one of his regular naps, I recorded putting LO down a total of 36 times in a span of ~an hour. Every single time he cried, until he was practically crying in his sleep. He slept in his crib - for a grand total of 25 minutes. Sent the video clip to my husband and told him he could do it the next time. Never heard from him about this ever since 🤷🏻‍♀️

@robert777 I had some pretty bad PPA until I was talking on to a friend about how I was worried because my baby hated tummy time. She told me she never did tummy time and when I looked properly scandalized, she asked me the last time I met an adult with a floppy neck whose head wasn't straight. That put things into perspective for me. Just do what works. Within reason of course

@robert777 My takeaway after a pediatrician’s appointment:

“Put the baby down drowsy and awake…and you should be sure to do this for naps as well. But also you should make sure they nap exactly on schedule or else everything will turn into chaos. Oh but then you can’t feed to sleep because that will set a bad standard, so make sure you eat, play, sleep and don’t stray from this order. You should also not swaddle at this age because they might roll, but also don’t cosleep with them because that’s dangerous. Also be sure you get sufficient rest because you need to be alert while caring for baby… but definitely don’t leave baby unattended and sleep while the baby is awake. Oh but then you shouldn’t rock baby to sleep because they need to learn to sleep on their own so definitely put them down while they are drowsy but still awake, even if this means you get 7 minutes of sleep per day and baby is also overtired and annoyed. I don’t see the issue, this is all super easy and obviously manageable.”

@peace608 Don't forget the other classics like:

"Make sure the baby is getting at least 5 tummy time sessions a day. Also, do not wake a sleeping baby, but make sure the baby isn't sleeping too much, or too little - this could be the sign of a problem"

Queue me frantically keeping a journal of the babies nap times and sleep times followed by my mom's advice, which went a little something like this:

"I want you to start keeping track of how often he gets bloated and how often you need to help him pass gas. When he passes gas. I want you to keep track of how many farts he has on his own vs. how many times he farts with assistance. Also, keep track of how many times he spits up and what the consistency is. In addition, you should check his temperature many times a day and log those temperatures. You need to track all of this so that you can give all of this to your pediatrician and she can tell you if it's normal."

Me: happily sends pictures of baby to mom
Mom: His belly looks dIsTeNdEd. I don't want you to worry, but you should schedule an appointment with his pediatrician because belly distension could be he has a blockage and that could kill him!
Me: 😭😭😭 frantically calling pediatricians office to schedule and appointment
Pediatrician: He's just a little gassy

Back