New dad here, please help. Seeking advice from those with experience in this situation. TIA

@foley33 I’m going to look into the Legendary supplements and I think we will stop the fenugreek and tried other routes since it seems to be 50/50. The last thing we want is to worsen the situation. And yes, a LC is next on the list. Thank you for your advice!

@dreamer30 Hi! Don’t know if anyone mentioned but fenugreek can have an opposite effect for some people— it might be safer to stick with food sources for increasing food production like some other people have mentioned - oatmeal and coconut water like in Bodyarmour seems to be somewhat miraculous for lots of people. And also echoing that supply is very much still regulating.

Hope everyone gets so sleep! I get nauseous when sleep deprived but also when my iron is low — may be worth having MD check ferritin levels.

It sounds like you’re doing a great job supporting your family and kudos to you for seeking advice on this.

@dreamer30 She absolutely can continue to breastfeed. You two are doing so well! You can't see it right now because you're in the newborn trenches, but this is a minor bump in the road. Breastfeeding is a journey with a lot of highs and lows. This is normal. She has not ruined breastfeeding and she will produce more.

First, bring your wife water all of the time. Get her a bottle (Stanley or whatever she prefers) and keep it filled. My doctor recommended I drink at least 80oz a day for breastfeeding. I don't know what her doctor would say, but keep that mama hydrated! It will take a day or two of proper hydration to get results.

While you're at it, buy yourself a bottle and keep yourself hydrated, too. You need to be in good health for your family.

Second, the amount she pumps does NOT reflect how much that baby gets when breastfeeding. Babies are much better at removing milk from the breast than a machine. Additionally, an 8 day old baby has a walnut sized stomach! They can only fit a couple oz at a time. Its why they seem to feed every hour and why you'll get so little sleep.

Third, I would caution her about power pumping at this point. Her supply is still establishing itself for the first few weeks, not days. Keep offering the breast as often as baby wants it. Offer both breasts if baby still seems hungry. Maybe pump for an extra 10 or 20 minutes after each feed.

She needs to be cautious about creating a huge oversupply. This can lead to clogs and infections called mastitis. Both can be incredibly painful and can even land her in the hospital. Right now, pumping occasionally after feeding is probably more than enough.

And it goes without saying, listen to your doctors over what strangers on the Internet say. Take time to ask questions and research, but there is a LOT of bad information out there.

Congrats on your little one!

I'll also add that babies take fewer oz of breastmilk than formula. It isn't a 1:1 comparison. Breastmilk tends to be more nutrient and calorie dense.

@ontheway27 Yes, this trench is deep and muddy. But, we are pushing through it.

Thank you very much for your comment. You helped ease my mind and provide additional light (as with all the other comments too) and I need to make sure we don’t overdo it and suffer repercussions on the backend. I know my wife, and I know her body will pull through. She’s a warrior and will find a way.

Thanks again!

@dreamer30 I don’t know if anyone said this, but be sure she’s using the right size flanges when she’s pumping. That makes a big difference for output while pumping. Also look up the volume a baby his age should be eating. At the beginning it’s very small. Especially if she’s still producing colostrum

@dreamer30 Did you figure out the cause of the nausea? If she’s sick, that temporarily causes a dip in supply. I get nauseous when sleep deprived, and sleep deprivation also causes a dip in supply. My guess is whatever caused the nausea is what impacted her supply, and that it’s temporary. I would also ask why you think the baby is still hungry (what are the hunger cues you’re seeing after a feed). Where are baby’s hands at the end of the feed (tight fists or relaxed/open, and by the mouth or loose anywhere)? And how does the feed end? Sometimes people misread whether their baby is hungry.

This is the best way to get to EBF: nurse the baby without bottles or formula. Formula replaces baby’s nursing which is what signals her body to produce milk. You’re thinking, but baby will be hungry without formula - then start the next feeding earlier.

You’re thinking, but she’s already nursing every 2-3 hours. That range (2-3 hours) is an average. If her supply is low, she needs to nurse at least every 2 hours, maybe even more frequently.

You’re thinking, but what if baby is still hungry at the end of the day - count wet diapers to make sure baby is getting enough.

What works wonders is for her and the baby to stay in bed together for a full 2 days. They will nurse more that way since she’ll catch early hunger cues. And her supply will tick up.

She should also connect with a lactation consultant as soon as possible. The hormones in the early days are more responsive than as time goes on.

As for what to do now - eat to hunger (get a lot of protein), drink to thirst, and sleep to the extent possible. Drop the fenugreek since it sometimes kills supply. And of course nurse on demand.

Also she should be aware that cluster feeding is no joke. Some babies nurse continuously with short breaks. Mine would nurse one hour on, 20 minutes off. It makes you doubt your supply, but it’s the baby’s way of increasing supply.

@melanieg Yes, we believe it was the dehydration because it hasn’t come back since we’ve loaded her up it’s fluids and food.

He usually turns into what we call a “limp fish” when he’s full. All relaxed, arms and hands out/open, basically an 8lb sack of potatoes haha. He tightens up when hungry.

Great advice on the lazy day in the bed. I think I’ll surprise her with that in the morning. An all day, in the bed, relaxation, movie staycation with her new best friend??? She’s going to love it!

We are going to focus on food and hydration and drop the fenugreek like you and others have suggested.

And contacting an LC is next on the list.

Thanks for your advice!

@kimosabe2019 I'm combo feeding my 1mo right now because of breastfeeding/weight problems that led to jaundice in his first week too. I'm constantly worrying it my supply will ever pick up. So glad to see this comment - gives me hope!

Update: WOW I did not expect all the incredible comments and advice. Thank you ALL for your kind words, support, encouragement, and insight.

As of now, my wife was able to full breast feed for the late morning/lunch time feeding. HUGE win. He stayed latched for about 30 minutes between both breasts and didn’t request anything extra after. He’s currently trying to nap (friggin hiccups 🙄) and Mama is napping.

Some plans moving forward: we are stopping fenugreek, keeping up on prenatals (I didn’t realize she hadn’t taken them in a few days 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️), hydration, rest, tons of skin to skin, food and snacks high in carbs and protein, fresh oatmeal for breakfast, and occasional pumping between feedings.

Again, thank you all for the support and advice. My wife doesn’t use Reddit so I’ll be keeping in touch here and coming back for more advice if needed. I wish you all the best and I hope and pray everything works out.

We are all on a journey together. While it may be hard, I know it’s worth it. If it wasn’t, God’s creation would’ve ended long ago.

@dreamer30 Definitely keep going and remember baby’s stomach is tiny right now supplement as needed and help your wife stay hydrated and easy to grab snacks also she needs to sleep to produce. My husband would take the baby for about 3-4 hours (in a different room, we don’t sleep as deeply with baby around) around 6am and it helped soo much.

@dreamer30 When my supply dips for whatever reason it does take a few days to regulate back up. Just came to say don't expect a dramatic change the next time she feeds. Try all the things for a few days.

@dreamer30 It sounds like a very rough start.

If you can get hold of one, a supplemental nursing system may help. It’s basically a small tube system that allows baby to receive supplemental milk while nursing at the breast. It can be fiddly to set up and use, but it allows baby to stimulate the breasts while feeding, which will boost supply.

A certified lactation consultant would be able to help your wife set up a system and learn how to use it.

@dreamer30 You've already gotten most of the things I'd have suggested (soooo much water, oats, just eating enough in general, feeding on demand), but I'd also suggest not taking fenugreek (including the lactation cookies if they contain it). For some women, it can increase supply, and for some, like myself, it can kill your supply.

I took it with my first and didn't realize that's what dried up my milk. With my second, I was convinced at one point that I wasn't producing enough (I was, but seeing influences online with huge stashes made me think otherwise), so I drank Mothers Milk tea containing fenugreek and my supply immediately dipped.

Breastfeeding is difficult in the beginning, and she'll definitely feel like she's not producing enough even without the problems yall have encouraged. The best way to increase supply is to just keep feeding when the baby wants to eat.

@dreamer30 Tons of water. Maybe consider rehydration solution to get the right balance of electrolytes. Oh, and the biggest, juiciest, fattiest, cheeseburger ever.