My wife thinks parenting won’t be that hard

@davidpark I don’t know, I think it’s fine. Life just goes on with extra chores and a whole lot of extra love you find within yourself. That’s what keeps you going.

We find it easy on our first (7 month old girl) and we’re trying for a second. But we have a ‘beginner’ baby lol, she just sleeps through the night and is generally very happy to go along with anything we do.

@davidpark OP. You got this my dude.

You do not need to win this, or any other battle, anymore. This is one in particular you shouldn’t be fighting. Its time to practice your “i got this” skills. You have them whether you believe it or not.

Let me introduce you to the “quiet fixer” (this is you); who’s only job is to support and instill confidence. If your wife is 100% wrong about something, and progressing with her approach will not cause physical harm or financial challenges (some $$ waste has to be ok); you get to support the wrong thing, then fix it quietly. Grain of salt here ~ don’t support crazy shit, but dont fight the battle if its a difference in style or $10.

When you reach your capacity ~ just have a talk about it and see what you two can do to make it easier. “Ive been cleaning the kitchen every night and morning, but its becoming a bit much. Do you think we can find a slightly different routine where that only needs to happen once per day?”

Your about to be the bottom of the totem pole for family “wants” and the top of the totem pole for family “how do’s”. You get minimal say, but you have the responsibility of making the thing happen. Dont fight it, get better at subtle influence.

To be clear: not encouraging you to become a master at manipulating your wife and kids. I am encouraging you to stop bugging out and flex your testicular fortitude. Shes right about the stuff in your post, you’ve got this. Its not going to be easy; but your capable humans who can adapt - and thats the key to success!

@davidpark that was my wife and mines attitude pre baby. it was a blessing. so much better to come into it from a positive perspective than already daunting a difficult one. if you think it'll be hard, then it will be.

parenting isn't easy but why suffer more than you have to? you don't know what it's going to be like. there's a ton of it that actually IS easier than I've heard and read. and maybe that comes down to the way we handle things since we're already in a "this shouldn't be too hard so we will quickly adjust to make it so" mindset.

@davidpark There are times where it’s much more chill than you expect. Newborns sleep a lot and if they are napping on you it’s like your job to relax. But obviously nights can be really exhausting and mentally taxing as well. It’s everything really

@davidpark It is extremely hard but it’s actually pretty easy at first. DEPENDING ON YOUR BABY. Each baby is different. For me the first 3 months were super easy just make sure he was fed and slept and snuggled on time. Now it’s a lil harder lol. I know it’s not that way for a lot of people

@davidpark I must say that I find it easier than people made it seem to be. I hated pregnancy and I sleep better with my 2 month old then during pregnancy lol. Breast feeding is easy for me too (I did ask professional advice on multiple occasions). We only had a bad delivery with 6 days hospital for our little baby girl but she is totally fine since. She cries, but there is always a reason.

I do have to add that we have my parents as support and a good friend of ours. I needed way more support during pregnancy than after by the way. My husband took leave for the first 8 weeks after she was born and that was amazing. I would recommend it to everyone if you can afford it.

I’m only taking care of her alone during the day (and night feedings as I breast feed) for one week now. It is tiring if the night has not gone well, but most nights are fine so.. I think I have an easy baby due to all those warnings lol. The fun part is that now people are starting to warn me for other stages like sleep regression at 4 months or the terrible two’s.

It’s good she’s reading up a lot because knowledge is power and puts things in perspective. Like you know the day/night rhythm of your baby will get better, what it means if she wants to drink a lot in a short period of time etc. You both can do it!

@davidpark I think your wife is probably more correct than she is wrong. The day to day of raising a child can actually be pretty simple if you are good at routines, disciple and sacrifice and you don’t have to worry about work/money. The real challenge is the inability to step away from the role of parenting. There aren’t summers, PTO days or set hours. You are parenting 24/7/365 and it gets exhausting. So it’s impossible to
Compare to any past experiences.

@davidpark Being a parent is the hardest thing I have ever done. it's not that the work is hard. It's that it's unrelenting. You are now on call 24/7 365 days a year. For at least 18 years.

I did graduate night school while working a full time job. That was no problem in comparison. Because when I decided I was done. I could be done. It's not up to me anymore.

That being said I have never felt love like this before. It's worth it.

@davidpark Yeh it’s not as bad as all the naysayers say, if you’re lucky.
My parents, older friends, colleagues were all ‘say goodbye to sleep lol!’, or ‘get ready to get pissed/shat/vomited on at 3am haha!’, and none of that was close to our experience. I was vomited on once (she was poorly) and we’ve consistently had 6 hours avg sleep a night since she was a small baby (like a month or so old, which is pretty normal obviously).

Ironically the only person who was always positive about parenthood is my friend who has 3 now with the middle one being a sleepless colic-y nightmare for the first year. He’s my age, all the doom n gloom came from older people..

Obviously ymmv but for us parenthood has been an absolute joy, with some minor life sacrifices that are more than made up for by having a beautiful girl (who’s now 2 and a half).
Ignore the haters

@davidpark For the newborn stage, I think it is a different type of hard. It isn't the act of taking care of the baby that is hard. It is the extreme tiredness or the repetitive tasks all day and night (feed, burp, diaper, play,sleep).Or the, i want to clean my house but I can't get more than 5 minutes away from baby.. Or, I have never had so much time off for work before, but I actually can't use it for the things I want to do because I have a newborn. I guess being selfless is the hardest thing for me!

@davidpark I was one your wife’s side of the equation, I didn’t think it would be that bad, I also used to work very demanding jobs 80+ a week/low sleep. My wife was in your position. We both wfh and have flexible jobs.

4 weeks in now, it’s hard but definitely manageable ie not that bad, the first few days are the worst, cause your up for a long labor(>24hrs), then you have to figure everything out and get used to having to take care of the baby. Once you can get some sleep it gets much better. Work will suffer.

My top advice would be 1) if there is a nursery you can put the baby in at the hospital do it, we didn’t the first night huge mistake. They will should bring them back for feedings every 2-3 hours, but newborns are noisy and not having to worry about whether they are choking to death every 1-2minutes will allow you to get some sleep.

2) Not sure what your feeding plan is but be prepared for all contingencies if you can. it’ll make a huge difference in the early days. We planned to breastfeed, but my wife just doesn’t have the supply, so we’re mostly formula feeding. Make sure you have enough bottles and such to cover 24 hours of feedings so you only need to wash 1-2 times a day instead of the middle of the night. For us 12 bottles and 9 nipples works.

If she pumps you’ll also want at least a spare set of flanges. Also make sure to get the right size flanges.

Edit: I should probably ask my wife what she thinks though…

@davidpark It’s probably going to be easier in some ways, and harder in ways you don’t expect. I’d say lack of sleep in a career context is a lot different when it comes to keeping a tiny human alive, keeping yourself fed, clean, rested, etc.

Keep in mind that a lot of people you talk to / whose posts you read online are written in hindsight, sometimes a good distance away from when it happened. Like looking back, I’d say in comparison to toddlerhood, the newborn phase was a lot easier given that my kid would sleep anywhere, you only ever had to worry about having formula / breast milk on hand, and she wasn’t mobile. But in the moment it was a little overwhelming. Also, “parenting” is an expansive and long term project, so what’s easy now will quickly be replaced by something difficult later.

All that said, I think not psyching yourself out too much and taking it a day at a time is the best way to come at it, so if that’s kind of where her head’s at then I’d say it’s a good approach.

And side note: NYC has so much to offer for kids, it’s ridiculous. We spent the first year in Brooklyn before moving, and “family NYC” is like a completely different universe than the New York of your mid- to late-20s; there’s some many things that were there the whole time that you never noticed as a childless adult, but become glaringly apparent once kids enter the picture.

@davidpark When my daughter was 1ish, we were out for a walk and she looked up and saw the moon. She pointed and said “mooon!” It was cute. Then she kept pointing, and reaching, and saying “moon” turned into screaming it. She wanted the moon. She was becoming angry we wouldn’t give it to her. But she was 1 and we had no way to convey how far away it was. We walked home carrying her as she cried begging for the moon.

Some things you can prepare for. Other things somehow make you feel like you let them down because you can’t give them an interstellar object on a whim. No matter how prepared you are, you’ll never be that level of prepared, and those moments will be hard.

@davidpark Parenting will always have challenges. Some “typical” and some not. You will face things that she isn’t reading in books. You mention much of the logistical issues being task related, which certainly is a challenge, but the emotional and psychological challenges are the ones that are nearly impossible to prepare for. One child will not give you insight into what the next child’s challenges will be. It’s good to be optimistic, but instead of convincing her start focusing on you and her being a parenting team. Agree on parenting approaches, support each other’s decisions publicly (discuss disagreements privately), and don’t undermine each other. We’ve had a challenging road and without my wife and I being completely on the same page, I have no idea what situation we’d be in.

@davidpark I agree with those who are saying she’s right; however, it is worth considering that the experience will vary massively based on the kid’s temperament, habits and health.

My daughter slept well from the off; a “bad night” was her waking 3 times for a nappy change and then breastfeeding right back to sleep. During the days, she was generally pretty happy and only really cried if she wanted a feed or had filled her nappy. She’s three now and whilst we’re having the odd little tantrum that you’d expect from a little growing mind, she’s still like 98% fun to be around and 2% stressful.

My son is sixth months old; similar temperament although slightly quicker to become upset. He also feeds a LOT more often which means some nights my wife is up 6 or 7 times feeding him. As he’s breastfed, there’s not much I can do to help with feeds and although I’ve told my wife to wake me (I’m a deep sleeper, not usually woken by crying) and I’ll do the nappy change, she generally says “no, I’ll be awake to feed anyway, no point both of us losing sleep.” If you find yourself in the same situation as me in this respect, I would point out that it’s incumbent on you to try and do more than your fair share of the parenting during the day if you’ve had a good night’s sleep and your wife hasn’t.

BUT: I have friends whose kids have had some of the following issues, which have had them doing the whole process on hard mode from the start:
  1. Baby will only sleep when held, requiring parents to sleep in shifts so someone can hold the baby.
  2. Baby has medical issue that requires hospital visits. Some minor but still stressful. (We actually spent a night in hospital when my son got jaundice). One friend’s baby had a heart defect which - thankfully - one year in has been fixed, but which required weeks in hospital for tests, monitoring and operations.
  3. Baby has allergies which require gloved hands to prevent them scratching inflammation, application of creams regularly, and careful storage of foodstuffs that may trigger allergies if nearby.
  4. Some friends have intended to breastfeed but run into huge difficulties in getting the baby to latch and this has then been stressful and in some cases resulted in giving up and having to solely bottle feed (which is more convenient in that both parents can do it, but less so when you consider all the sterilising of bottles and maybe breast pumps that goes with it).
This is all to say, you won’t know how difficult it will be until you know what your baby is like (in all sorts of ways). I think - on balance - your wife is right to be optimistic. The health-specific issues I’ve listed are generally not that common, and with regard to sleep/feeding issues; as long as you’ve got an adaptive, “can-do” attitude to any potential obstacles, you’ll be fine.

@davidpark I'm jelly of your resources to outsource those things.

Honestly I don't see the point in trying to convince her one way or the other.

You'll both find out soon enough.

But if you have more specific questions, I'm happy to share my experience so car. I have a 2 month old baby girl.

@davidpark Idk the hardest thing with my baby is sleep but we started sleep training and it only took 3 days to see huge results. Other than that it’s fun but i can see all day being hard since im at work and shes alone. I really think it depends on the kid and really putting in the effort to have habits and routines with your kid and it makes things si much easier

Back