My baby is 3.5 months old and will not feed. I’m losing my mind

@whiteybeefcake We’ve gone through this with 3 kids now and here’s what I’ve learned:

-see an SLP asap, one that specializes in infant feeding. They can help diagnose issues and figure out what is actually happening.

-for our two younger kids, the issue was coordination, which was not something I would have been able to figure out without the SLPs help because the issues were manifesting like reflux/bottle aversion. It turns out that both kids were having issues coordinating suck/swallow/breathing so they were basically being waterboarded while drinking. Thickening feeds with either rice cereal or gelmix (personally I prefer gelmix) was a game changer. Our youngest was legit hospitalized for feeding and since adding gelmix, she now she takes all of her feeds calmly and awake. I wouldn’t thicken without the guidance of an SLP.

-feeding side lying on a pillow helped my middle child

-dream feeding when you’re desperate helps them get more in

-it may be worth it to try nutrimagen. It smells and tastes terrible, but was a game changer for my daughter. She didn’t have blood in her stool but our doctor thinks that she still has a milk sensitivity. Stick with it even though it’s sucks. We saw drastic improvement in 48 hours.

Good luck! Feeding issues have caused some of my darkest days of parenting, but there is light at the end of the tunnel and all of my kids took really well to solids. Bottle feeding is a temporary stage!

@lokhok Hi! Just wondering what sort of symptoms your babes had when feeding, ie what did the aspiration look like? My baby seems to suck a lot of air, and I'm wondering if her suck swallow breathe pattern is dysfunctional.

@engenia69 Mine weren’t aspirating, they just had bad coordination. Our SLP says it’s the most common cause of bottle feeding issues, much more common than reflux. My daughter and son would both take a few sips of the bottle and then scream bloody murder/arch away. My son had to be fed while asleep because he eventually did end up developing a bottle aversion. Our daughter also had quick breathing while taking a bottle, like she couldn’t catch her breath and often had a grimace on her face. She also would swallow a ton of air and smacked on the bottle because she was trying to slow the flow. We thickened her feeds and it’s like I have a completely different baby!

@lokhok Ah okay, wow thickened feeds was all it took? That is so wonderful, I hope we get to some sort of resolution like that. Thanks for the info, it does sound like my daughter but she also does this weird abdominal crunch thing, its now all day and night and wakes her from her sleep. I almost wonder if it's from the gas she sucks down, which makes her too full to keep eating too. Anyways thanks for the response!