My baby is 3.5 months old and will not feed. I’m losing my mind

@whiteybeefcake Just echoing that we had a similar situation where it didn’t seem to work at first (the nutramigen). If that is an issue, be aware that it can take roughly 2 weeks for the dairy to get out of their system and things to turn around. Ymmv

@johnscurry My son took 2 months for blood in his stool to develop and when we switched his spitting up got a bit worse for a week or so, I think it just takes time to get used to. Same happened with solids, although I think he also tends to overeat more with solids

@whiteybeefcake But what do YOU think? Our GP and paediatrician didn’t think it was cows milk protein allergy because my baby didn’t have a rash. I had to agree with them that the reflux didn’t necessarily come from cows milk allergy, but he kept screaming after every feed. I was convinced it was cows milk protein allergy, but couldn’t really explain why. Luckily, we saw a paediatrician who trusted my mommy instincts and we ended up using Neocate LCP. Has been a happy healthy baby ever since.

I don’t say it is cows milk protein allergy in your baby’s case, but never trust solely on what the doctor says. What do you think is wrong?

@whiteybeefcake I have so much empathy for you. I think we have just emerged from the other side of this (fingers crossed).

Baby had silent reflux and Pepcid did help with the pain. We did the bottle aversion therapy and got over screaming at the sight of a bottle. But he just wouldn't take any sort of volume at a feed - he would pop off and get very distracted at around 2.5 oz.

OT suggested trying to space out his feeds and helping him sit a little more vertical when feeding. The sitting helped a little bit.

What made the biggest difference was switching to a faster nipple. He hated the MAM bottles but likes Dr Brown. Suddenly he is taking big bottles and waking up hungry. I don't know if he just figured out it was easier to eat or if the reflux finally abated or what, but it was like a switch was thrown overnight.

@whiteybeefcake Wow, I could have written this exact post… my son is the same age and we’re really struggling. Just fed about 2 hours ago and could only get 2 ounces in. I know I’ve been pressuring him and it’s SOO hard not to. I feel terrible seeing how little he actually wants to eat happily.

I’m constantly looking for the “magic pill” to fix this but nothing seems to help. He’s on reflex meds, neocate formula, fortifying formula.

Sorry, not much help but just sitting in the same boat as you. Reach out if you want to chat!

@whiteybeefcake We had good success with Enfamil AR and positioning. Our daughter was slightly aspirating thinner formulas so the thickened formula really helped. Our SLP recommended asking GI for a swallow study. Highly recommend working with a SLP who specializes in feeding therapy because it helped so much with solids later even. Our daughter struggled a lot with tongue disorganization due to her tongue tie. I really feel for you, it’s horrible when they won’t eat. I shed so many tears over it. Thankfully, things got much better as she grew and her digestive system matured. We had a huge change right around 5 months where it got a lot better.

@whiteybeefcake My daughter had a mild bottle aversion from about 3-8 months. We wasted a TON of formula because I would make and offer bottles every 1-2 hours only to have her take an ounce and then reject the rest. We never figured out why- she didn’t seem to have reflux or allergy issues! We had a little success with feeding her while distracted (example: in the bouncer in front of the TV, in the car seat). Once she got more into solids, she just seemed to get more hungry and started drinking up to 30 ounces of milk a day!

@whiteybeefcake I’m going through this with my daughter. It’s a combination of many things- CMPI, reflux, a bad latch, and a bottle aversion that I caused by pressuring her since I did not know better.

Fortifying helps, but we also had to follow Rowena’s bottle feeding aversion program and paid for a consultation. Any perceived pressure from us results in her taking less and less until she starts losing weight. She did lose weight at first! We were panicking. Now, she is barely tracking on the 16th percentile but it fluctuates. She is 6 months and a small babeesh.

We are only able to feed her by laying her on her side. At first we had to use the Medela Special needs feeding bottles to help her latch issues. Feeds take a looooong time. And often, she won’t finish. Feeds are also broken up as she will only take a bit at a time.

Feel free to message me! You are not alone. All my friends have these unicorn babies that just eat and grow and I felt so isolated. This community helped.

@katrina2017 My babe is also cmpi reflux, fixed her tongue tie, feeding aversion and having a very hard time with gas, etc and not gaining weight. Just wondering what made the biggest difference in terms of weight gain for your babe? We are struggling, like really struggling, and this thread definitely makes me feel less alone so thank you

@engenia69 For us, it was the medela special needs bottle. It was easy for her to suck and she did not have to have a good latch. This meant that there were fewer “clicking sounds” and air entering her body. It takes FOREVER to feed her but we managed to get the food in. I’d sit cross legged while she lay on the bed and she would do one suck every 10 seconds or so. It’s sooooo long to get food in her. However, finding out that she felt safer in this position and that she felt safer with the medela bottle (she has ptsd from my strong let down when I was breastfeeding), helped to get food in.

The second thing that super helped was following the bottle aversion program. We hired Lindsay Wark and although it was expensive, it was so good to get personalized help.

Obviously, switching to nutramigen formula was absolutely necessary for us.

Finally, we add two scoops of “thicken up clear” to her 800ml formula pitcher that we make each day. This was recommended to us by the BC Complex feeding program. The thickener helps her to feel fuller and more comfortable with the food. It seems to help with the reflux.

I hope that helps! I know it’s super super super hard! Don’t give up. I know it’s exhausting to try different things but sometimes you land on something that helps, even if for a little while. ❤️

@katrina2017 So good to know, thank you! When you say BC, do you mean British Columbia? That is where we're located! We at connected to an OT but I feel like we might need an elevated level of care, did you need to be referred to the program? Is Lindsay the one who figured out the position for feeds? Sorry for all the ques questions, just wondering how I can figure out what to do, so far conflicting advice from professionals which makes it difficult..