Kyleena

@christiansafezone The water weight came off immediately and I otherwise feel 1000 times better. I’m working to get the other weight off, but I can feel that my appetite has been curbed a lot. I used to wake up in the middle of the night hungry, and that isn’t happening anymore.

@dreis Sorry, I’m a few months late to this thread…but I am only here because I’m desperately searching for answers. I’m not so sure about kyleena…I was on cloud nine with you for literally the entirety of 4 years! I got the 5 year iud in 2018 because I was so sick of taking the daily pill and was nervous if I missed a day/time. In the 5 years that have passed I got married and my husband had a vasectomy. Mine expired about 6 months ago and I truly forgot I had it in!

I’m assuming it stopped working a little before the 5 year mark and is no longer effective at all. However - for that past 9 months, I kid you not, I have been experiencing every side effect they list. I truly did not know what the hell was wrong with me and got tested multiple times for the most common causes.

I want this out of me now as I’m slowly realizing that it may be the cause and it’s the LACK of hormones. I stopped having a period when I started and haven’t had one since. I LOST 25 pounds and as of the last month have lost 10 more. I’m 5’-8” and weigh 105 pounds. I have acne like I’m in middle school. I’m 32….

I need this out, and don’t need it for pregnancy prevention, but am wondering if I should get another one put in anyway. I really don’t know what to do.

@steeven84 Super late to you being late to the thread, but how has it been??? The process of getting it implanted was traumatic af for me and I’m coming up on 5 years and I’m so so so scared of getting it removed

@dreis I am considering getting mine removed. Two months into it, I had an UTI. A couple of weeks later, no infection was detected anymore in the lab tests (there have been 5 of them since) - so no infection in place anymore. But the symptoms persist (5 months since the actual UTI finished) with some fluctuation in the severity. I thought it could be related to the Keto diet I was doing at the time - no more Keto for three months now, still in pain. Tons of ultrasounds later - “IUD is in place”. But for sheer elimination process, this is the last thing that has changed for me and that I haven’t changed it back to factory settings per say. I was super excited to get off the pill, so I’ve spent some time in denial that it might Kyleena causing all of this, but there is not much left other than it 🫤

@jacobite47 Like with all birth control, they impact us all differently. I also have Kyleena, due to have it replaced in November (coming to the end of 5 years with it) and I’ve not had any issues compared to the copper/non-hormonal one I had before. People never talk about the good experiences though haha

@jacobite47 I love my Kyleena. I’ve had it for several years and it cleared my skin, stopped my periods, and I haven’t gained weight from it. It works differently for everyone.

@dreis
And screw every medical professional who tells women, “The hormones are lOcAliZeD. ThIs MEtHoD iSn’t LiNkEd to WeIgHt GaIn.” Screw the gaslighting.

You don't have to like the Kyleena, and there's nothing wrong with having it removed. But I don't know why you're shitting on doctors. They're not gaslighting you--this is the current body of evidence. Outside of a few pounds of water weight, significant weight gain (50+ lbs as described) has not been demonstrated with any of the IUDs.

@joluvu For every medical device or drug, or combo thereof, there should be "common side effects" and "less common side effects" and "rare side effects". I can't imagine that anxiety or mood swings aren't at all im any of those categories for Kyleena.

And yes, blame specific doctors who don't understand that each person is different and each reaction to a medication can be different. Also, because, not all doctors are created equal. Some are really great, and nice, and empathetic, and will work with a patient ...while others can be completely insensitive assholes that should never have chosen this profession.

Also, I need to point out that even if the hormones are localized, stopping a specific process such as ovulation in this example, should have systemic consequences and have an effect on other hormones and signaling molecules. Because ovulation is kind of a big deal.

@nancya2 The last paragraph for real! I wanted a hormone-free IUD and I was coerced into the Kyleena because it was "localized." Sure, my stabbing pains every day were definitely localized!

@joluvu As a person who works in clinical research, you’re not telling me anything I don’t know. But lack of evidence is not the same thing as definitive evidence of something, and medical professionals have a duty to explain that to their patients and also have to duty to not make patients feel like they are crazy for experiencing something anecdotally that doesn’t bear out in the research. Now, please go comment elsewhere with your know it all attitude. This is labeled “rant” for a reason. Thanks!

@dreis
But lack of evidence is not the same thing as definitive evidence of something

To be clear, there is evidence. If you work in clinical research then you of all people should probably understand that your n = 1 does not mean doctors are gaslighting you. The studies examining LNG IUDs and weight gain are not anecdotal or case studies.

Also, labeling something as a "rant" does not entitle you to complain about people without them fairly criticizing you. But, if you think it does, then I guess this is also a #rant

Back