Kyleena IUD Insertion Experience

@rjj4321 I spotted for about the first week or so. My obgyn said some spotting for the first week or two was normal. If you are bleeding a lot then I’d give your a provider a call but spotting is probably fine.

@doesntaddup I also have Kyleena and this experience is very similar to mine. I get rolling waves of cramping and I'm 6 days out from what will be my second period on this iud. However, these cramps have been the worst cramps of my life since getting the IUD. I'm going to give it a few more months and see if things improve.

@whois1230 My experience was very similar! After my first IUD (skyla) I had terrible cramping that went all the way down into my legs for 3-4 hours after and minimal bleeding. After my second IUD (skyla again) almost no cramping post insertion. I would say I would do it all over again because the past 5 years of worry free BC has been amazing but I told my husband after kids it’s his turn to provide the birth control hahaha I did my part

@mrwong Yes!! Hahah definitely a conversation to have with significant others. Birth control has tons of options out there - not just a one-party decision!

@whois1230 I had much the same experience as you with the Kyleena insertion, but that afternoon after the insertion... I had some serious cramps, bad and relentless. I don’t know what I did to earn that, but maybe because I walked and transported all the way home because I felt so fine after the procedure. After riding that one out I was very careful not to move much in the week following the insertion. It’s been over a month in and I’m totally back to normal now but for that first month I could barely do anything. Doctor said I might be one of the unlucky few that has a lot of difficult adjusting to the IUD. The peace of mind now is fantastic though.

@cvogan I’m experiencing some cramps again now around the same times of my cycle as last, but nowhere near as bad as the first. I hope it all goes well for you, it takes a lot of strength to go through this for the security!

@whois1230 I got the paragard yesterday and only had pain during measuring of the cervix and the actual insertion of the iud. I had cramps for the rest of the day and some bleeding but just used ibruprofen, tylonol and heating pad. I'm on day 2 and I have no pain so far today

@whois1230 Since were talking IUD stories... here’s mine with the Mirena IUD:

Let me preface this by saying LITERALLY everyone is different, and everyone is going to have a different experience to the IUD than you. So if IUD’s sound scary, they definitely can be, but don’t let them stray you away from getting one, and trying it out for awhile to see if it works for your body and your lifestyle. IUD’s are awesome methods of birth control, and are very successful for most people, but for others, not so much. If you want one, try it to see if it works for you. Because not having to remember to take a birth control pill, and having regulated periods, is literal heaven.

I got my IUD in May of 2019. The initial appointment was just a consult with my doctor, we agreed the IUD would be the best option for me.

Fast forward to about a week later when I got my period, I was supposed to call and get the appointment scheduled within the first-third days of my period. I got the appointment scheduled and then went in. It started by peeing in a cup. They used this to make sure I wasn’t pregnant. Then I go in and get ready for the pelvic exam. The nurse explained everything before she did it. She started by inserting the speculum which can be a little uncomfortable your first few times having one in. They took some vaginal swabs to make sure I didn’t have any bacterial STDs (those results I got after a few days). They measured my cervix, popped in the IUD, and then cut the strings. I was in and out in about five minutes. She asked me to lay still for a few minutes after to make sure I wasn’t light headed. The only “painful” part was them putting the IUD in. It was a BIG cramp, but subsided very quickly. The whole experience wasn’t all that painful for me, it was mostly just uncomfortable.

Now let’s mention the few months that followed. I’m talking INTENSE cramps, that wouldn’t subside for about 3-4 months. I still got my “period” but I didn’t know when I was on it because I bled non-stop for about 6 months. The only way I knew I was actually on my period was because those intense cramps became unbearable during the week I was on my period. They were so intense and painful that they would wake me up at night and I would CRY. The first period was definitely the worst. I literally called my doctor because I thought something was wrong. Most IUD’s estimate at least 6 months for your body to become normal again. This is NOT an exaggeration. My body took about 8 months to become normal again. I used so many tampons that at points they would become painful to use. I would just use pads or free bleed into black underwear when I wanted some sense of normalcy. Towards month 6, I would cry almost everyday because I just wanted to stop bleeding, and I wanted to stop needing to take ibuprofen every few hours to not be in pain.

After about 8 months, I finally got a little normal again. My period was never on a set schedule. I would just randomly bleed here and there, never really knowing when it would happen. Just kind of going with the flow.

No one mentions the anxiety that this thing will give you(the IUD). I have ALWAYS known that I wanted kids. I just didn’t want them soon, that’s why I had the IUD. But I had so many sleepless nights where I stressed and worried about that stupid little IUD becoming embedded in my uterus, and causing me to become infertile. Or causing me an ectopic pregnancy that would also render me infertile. I was so anxious and scared all of the time, that alone wasn’t worth it to me.

Here’s where I tell you not all bodies are the same again. After a few months with my Mirena IUD, sex started becoming very painful, which definitely should NOT happen. I dealt with the painful sex for about a year (I’ve had the same S/O since before my IUD). I went to the doctor about the painful sex and they told me I was fine and to take ibuprofen (I was not fine).

Some people absolutely have no issues with IUD’s. My best friend had the same IUD, which is mostly why I got it. My sister in law has an IUD (not the Mirena). So I absolutely had no doubt in my mind that it wouldn’t work for me.

I got my IUD out about two weeks ago.

The pain has subsided, and the anxiety is gone. I actually SMILED, when I left the doctor and that thing was out of me. I’m now on the pill, hopefully not for long, as I’m wanting a different method of long term birth control.

The IUD doesn’t work for everyone. You might be totally fine, or you might end up with a similar story as mine.

Talk to your doctor, be open with how you’re feeling, and you’ll be just fine.

TLDR: the Mirena IUD cause me 1 1/2 years of physical pain and stress. I recommend doing more research before getting one inserted as a method of birth control. All bodies are different, you should try many different things and see what works best for you. Most importantly TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR. Be open about how you’re feeling.

@trisagion3 Yes absolutely! It is so so important to listen to your body and do what's best. Every single person experiences things differently because every person is built differently - even immediate family members. Advocating for yourself is the best thing you can do in these situations because even though doctors are "experts" in the methods and procedures, YOU are the expert for your own body.

I hope you find a good long-term option that works best for you, and thank you for your insight!

@maeflower No problem!! I'm glad I could bring to the table something of value for you. Definitely consult with your doctor. If you don't have an OBGYN yet, take the time to find one and get to meet them during the consultation to see if you feel comfortable with them. Another poster mentioned how their first IUD experience was great, but the second was worse because the doctor wasn't as friendly or comforting. So advocate for yourself and do what's best for you and your body!

@whois1230 I am going next Friday and this is what I needed. Thanks for sharing!

I do have anxiety meds for “special occasions” and this may be one of them!

Cheers!

Back