It has been 7 sleep deprived weeks. AMA!!!1!

therace

So 7 weeks ago tomorrow my first child (a little girl) was born, we didn't know the gender until birth. Birth story is here

but I'm at work (still mad about that) and don't feel like working that much so when I am at my desk I will field all questions honestly CAUTION though I have a sailor's mouth so it won't be pretty :D

P.S. I do actually have to leave my desk at work for sometimes. so be patient I will respond to everything honestly for the next day or so.

@therace Hello.

As someone who "games," do you feel guilty, even the 15min-1hr you allow yourself? Does your SignOt give you any grief?

Did you worry about the babies health before she was born and anything you particularly remember doing to ease that if so? My baby is due on Nov. 8th and I've just been anxious about his health. I have no reason to be and no warnings otherwise. Just curious.

Thank you for your time.

@tteague81
As someone who "games," do you feel guilty, even the 15min-1hr you allow yourself? Does your SignOt give you any grief?

My wife knows how big gaming is to me (its actually on my resume as a profession as i made money doing it for a few years). she understands that its not just enjoyment for me but its the way that i de-stress(i work in a high stress environment). honestly i do not feel guilty as everyone deserves enjoyment. and i have been playing games that are single player or with friends who know that i can and will in fact just be gone mid match. that way i can pause or quit and come back if my wife needs anything during that time.

Did you worry about the babies health before she was born and anything you particularly remember doing to ease that if so? My baby is due on Nov. 8th and I've just been anxious about his health. I have no reason to be and no warnings otherwise. Just curious.

i did a couple times right after a sonogram but other than that no i didn't really panic they told us everything looked great. so i figured why add more stress to something already stressful.

@therace Belated congrats and the advice from a 1 year old's daddit: Explore your FMLA rights.

I didn't know about it until June and ended up taking 6 weeks off with my little guy. It was easily the best time I've had. It helped that it was summer though.

@jessicadee84 unpaid is the issue here. i am the bread winner by a fairly large margin, and we decided my wife would take off 11 weeks after the birth. but yea we did know about the fmla, and i am actually on fmla currently in case i have to go home or stay home during the day with her.

@therace Money is definitely the issue. My wife was back to work in January and I took my time of in July. I did have to take money from my savings but it was 100% worth it.
Keep it in mind for next summer. You can still take some time off before September.

@jessicadee84 yea i hope to take more, just unfortunately we scrape by as it is and cannot live on her money (before the baby it was for groceries and stuff we wanted) now its for child care. my check covers the bills. so unfortunately savings isn't rising. were hoping to do some more budgeting better soon though. (prolly should have done this sooner).

@therace I'm in the same boat. I burned all of my paid leave and got at least 2.5 weeks with my baby girl. Mom is taking 12. I wish I could have at least 6 paid. :(

@31sparrow we were heading that way at the end of 3 months but then this thing called the 4 month sleep regression came along (google it you might have that coming soon....) and now we are getting her onto some food and its getting better again