If your Kid were a straight-A student but also skipped school 2-3 days a week, what would you do?

@godblessed777 That your job as a member of society (and what’s in your own best interests) is to accumulate as much skill, experiences, and idea of what you want to do with your life as you can within the time given. You waste this time and you will have to go seriously into debt to rectify the mistake later in life or be stuck with a much narrower selection of possible jobs and, therefore, ways your life can look.

@godblessed777 I was this child in the 1990s. I was suspended all the time for skipping while lettering in academics. What I would do is ask if they are bored out of their mind. If they're able to ace all their classes and not show up for over half the class, then those classes aren't engaging, a challenge, or at this child's academic level. Is there a way to get them to take college level courses to meet requirements now? Are they able to get dual credit? I thrived in college because I could choose my own plan of study. Maybe that is what this kid needs. If I had it to do over. I would have dropped out at 15, took the GED and gone right to college. High school was the most boring time of my life. I would have rather done anything than go to class, including cleaning sewage pipes.

@godblessed777 Okay. At least you know the problem. You are bored. I don't know where you're located or the resources available. At my kid's high school, there's a lot of course offerings and there's an option to take classes at the community college or do work training. For me, I got a job that was willing to sign a work-release type voucher so I only had to do half days my final year. Are you able to take a more directed role and take classes that align with your interests? For example, if you like making internet content, can you learn about internet marketing or e-commerce law? I suggest talking to a counselor and telling them you are bored and losing interest in participating in academics. If they're worth their paycheck, they'll work with you to help figure out something better than you getting suspended for truancy. At the very least you can find a path to get a degree faster and have a better idea of how you want to direct your future.

@godblessed777 Maybe you're not being challenged enough. Talk to your parents. Some kids who are bored can do student-led learning where you actually finish the class ahead of time and go on to the next semester or year based on how quickly you progress.

But if you're not skipping yet, that means you're attending lecture, which may be why you have As.

@godblessed777 As a parent I would not stand for the kid skipping school. I'd do whatever I need to do to make sure they go. Like I've said before it can end up being a legal issue with serious consequences for the parents.

@godblessed777 I would talk to an administrator or even the principal about this and ask about getting an exception. Tell your parents you're going to do that first so they're not surprised.

@godblessed777 Ii agree. Talk to them to work something out. That's ridiculous they don't offer AP classes. Alternatively, if they refuse, you can still not skip. Ask your parents to enroll you in an online curriculum where you'll have access to AP classes but where you can still participate in school extra circulars like sports or band, if you wish.

@godblessed777 I would say he is setting himself up for failure. Think of school like a job, just because you're great at your job, doesn't mean they won't fire you if you are not showing up when scheduled.

If you're bored, get challenged more or look into different types of schooling. For example, my son does independent study and goes to school for 2 hrs on Monday and 6 hrs on Wednesday. The rest of the time, he works on his packet or his work on Google classroom. He is in 10th and his lowest grade is a B.

Back