I don’t like my daughter’s friend. And they’re 7

@olly91 You know, as cliche as it is, I do think a lot of it stemmed from self esteem issues. I elevated myself because I felt less than. Could that be an issue here?

@sakura2015 I'm not comparing myself to anyone else. Why is it bad to say that I consciously try very hard to be a good person? I was using myself as a child as an example that this girl might just be going through a phase like I was and could really be a nice person.

@katrina2017 Haha. I'm sure you are a perfectly kind person. It's just considered rude to compliment oneself, and presents as being socially unaware more than anything else.

Probably comes off worse because you're talking about how thoughtful and empathetic you are.

@sakura2015 The person didn't compliment themselves. They simply described qualities they consider themselves to possess, and only to make the point that adults should be kind to children even if a child exhibits poor behaviour.

@sakura2015 I would say the difference between a compliment and a description is that a compliment makes a value judgement and is intended as praise. Ex: 'Your hair is red' vs 'Your red hair looks great'.

The reason that the original comment appeared to be a compliment is because the description was of an attribute that most people consider to be a positive thing. And whilst the value judgement and praise of a compliment can often be implicit, it is also.possible for a quality that is widely considered positive to be objectively identified. The difference comes down to the intent: does the observer wish to compliment or do they wish to describe? Given the context of the original comment, I would suggest that they intended to describe one of their attributes not to compliment themselves but to describe themselves so as to make a point about emotional development.

Just an aside: when someone makes a statement that can be interpreted as rude or not (or mean or not, etc) when we have no other context, it is more kind to assume the more positive interpretation, until they give us a reason to think otherwise.