How do I emotionally survive my 4 mo’s shots?

@davidschmitt We give Calpol in the waiting room.

I hug him tight and just give him all the cuddles afterwards. It sucks but it’s so much better for them in the long run!

@davidschmitt in my country the first shots are at 4months and sadly my baby caught virus and needed minor operation before 3months and we spent a week in hospital where i had to hold her down on the table while they were trying to take blood samples and had iv in her little arm so its just perspective for me that the shots cant be worse.
i would recommend the cooling gel patches we brought them and the nurse put them on her legs straight away and i kept using them for 48h but luckily we only had a bit higher temperature the night after

@davidschmitt It is short lived pain for long term protection. Focus on the fact that it will keep then from life altering diseases.

I did what I could to make him comfortable as possible. I did ivf and know a thing or two about making the unpleasant a little more comfortable.

I made sure he was full.

I iced both legs for 10 minutes prior to numb area. Used Frida baby med pacifier for rotavirus. Asked them to use shot blocker. Turned room lights off and played his favorite sleep time music (evermore - lullaby covers for Taylor swift evermore). Brought his favorite toy to look at.

There was about 10 seconds of tears. I used remaining bottle to comfort and popped in a paci at the end. Massage the area gently to help vax evenly distribute so less pain later.

This seems like a lot, but this prep made me feel like a prepared parent and doing the absolute best for him. As he gets older, I’ll let him tell me when he’s brave enough to start taking some of these props away until he’s doing it on his own.

Seriously, tears were minimal and he was napping by the time we hit the car.

This is the age where they are getting shots all the time so do what you can to make it less unpleasant for them.

@davidschmitt Hugs to you, vaccinations were and still are VERY difficult for me emotionally, even though I am pro vax and want my child to be as protected as possible from illness. Something that helps me a little is keeping in mind that you are your child's safe space, and you will be there for them, no matter how scary that moment might be. And it will be a quick moment with one or two pokes, versus hospitalization and much more suffering from the actual disease.

I struggled with vaccines so much, especially when my baby was a newborn, that the nurses asked if I wanted to leave the room so I didn't have to watch. I refused and realized that as hard as it was, I wanted to be there so my baby wouldn't have to be alone with people he didn't know, and I'd be there for him to cry and regulate his emotions with, during and after. It's so hard to be strong for them sometimes though. All of this is easier said than done!

I'm hoping as my child gets older, it gets easier, but for now it's understandably still pretty scary and difficult each time. Also, when your baby is older, pretend play and watching episodes of kids shows with doctors and vaccines has helped us a little with doctor trips. It's still a work in progress, but I think they'll understand more and be able to be calmer with time. I know that doesn't help much right now, just something to keep in mind for later, if you will.

@davidschmitt My baby had his 4 month shots yesterday and it sucked. He screamed and I cried just like at his 2 month appt. But today although he has been a bit more fussy than usual, he was his normal, happy smiley self most of the day. He definitely isn't mad at us, if anything he's been more snuggly than usual.

It isn't pleasant, but I would rather see him get shots than see him struggle with an illness that I could have protected him from.

One thing I do feel bad about is making him do tummy time today. We did it several times today as usual, but he absolutely hated every second of it. It took me way too long to realize that he had shots in the front of his thighs, and laying on them was probably painful. If the same is true for your baby you might wanna skip tummy time for a day or two.

@davidschmitt The worst ones for me were 12 months because it was one in each leg and each arm. It was awful. But you just have to be brave and hold them. I took my husband with me for emotional support and he burst into tears and I had to comfort him and the baby! 😂

@davidschmitt Ohh I cried when mine received her 2 months shots too. It gets better, the first shots are the worst. I took mine for her 4 months shots a few weeks ago and she cried for a total of 5 seconds, after which she was smiling at everyone.

You got this mama

@davidschmitt Did you hold baby? I would recommend doing so. Both my husband and I go to the appointments and I hold him in my lap and we sing songs and distract. Then when the big jab comes I hold him and we sing and celebrate “good job” “wow so brave” and it’s over. Minimal drama.

Emotionally I know it’s for baby’s health

@davidschmitt My husband who never cries uncontrollably cries when she gets her shots. I’m a traumatized nurse who is able to compartmentalize so strangely I feel nothing when she gets her shots but if she so much as whimpers at home because she can’t reach a toy it cuts to my soul, and any other crying at home wrecks me.
My advice is cry beforehand. Think it out and really let it out. Then really really think about how much your baby needs you to be strong for them. You crying while they are hurting presumably would make them more scared and less confident in what’s happening. Remind yourself right before the shot that your job is to comfort them and that you have to figure it out.
I cried on the drive to her first shots but nada when she got the shots - my job is to reassure her. I also nurse her right after.
I used to be a very sensitive tearful person but lots of sad jobs have steeled me.

@davidschmitt I cried with my first also so I get it. I have since had another kiddo and we have just had the four month jabs. I keep in mind a couple of things...
  1. How lucky are we to live in a day and age where vaccines are available to us.
  2. The alternative to a vaccine is the illness. Again, how lucky we are.
Your baby won't remember the injection, it will be over with in no time. I always give some paracetamol 30mins before the appointment and comfort immediately after.

Could you ask a friend or family to go with you?

Good luck xx

@davidschmitt Our sons reaction got less severe each time. And now, at 15 and 18 mknths there were no tears ! He had a fruit pouch at the same time and legit didn’t cry at all. Just gave the nurse a dirty look 😂

@davidschmitt Just remember that it only lasts a few seconds.

How well do you remember the pain and trauma of your 4-month-shots from when you were a baby?

This is not something that will permanently ruin them!

@davidschmitt I think you’re thinking wayyyyy too hard about this. Your kid will not remember the shots 2 minutes after she gets them. Wait until til the first time you drop her or she slams her head on the stairs or she grabs something hot—these things are part of growing up! Life is not gentle.

@davidschmitt Our pediatrician allowed me to nurse while they did the injections and I think it really helped both me and my baby! If you are breastfeeding, this could be a good option 🥰

@davidschmitt My baby was distraught and so miserable the night of her 2 month shots. Shes 13 months now and not a single shot has had a negative effect on her and she’s fully vaccinated! Even the two dose flu shot… nothing.

@davidschmitt Look at pics of babies hospitalized due to largely preventable (via vaccine) illnesses. I also held my baby so he knew I was there but had to avoid eye contact. It sucks but it's over quickly. We are really so privileged to live in a time/place where safe vaccines are so readily available.

@davidschmitt Well what got me through were a few things, as others have mentioned:
  • vaccines work
  • they are so young they’ll never remember it
  • these pediatricians do this all the time, it’s probably second nature to them by now
Baby will be fine. You’ll be fine. Everyone’s gonna be fine. It’ll still suck though, no one likes seeing their baby cry.

Back