How do I emotionally survive my 4 mo’s shots?

@davidschmitt Just have a bottle or prep to nurse immediately after. My son wailed for a fraction of a second, which of course was hard to see, but as soon as it was over we swooped him up & gave him a bottle with extra cuddles. Instantly was fine & forgot all about it.

@davidschmitt I found the second shots much much easier! I just breastfeed after and he forgets all about it.

I figure if they get any of the diseases the vaccines prevent they would be getting way more needles….

@siana Same here! It’s horrible to hear that scream BUT think how many injections they’d need if they got any of these diseases. I’m doing the kindest thing by giving him the vaccine.

@davidschmitt Remember, you’re good parents for getting her vaccinated. She will continue to be a happy, healthy, baby. She’ll forgive and love you. You’ll make it through. It’ll be quick and then you get to love on your baby until she’s calm and happy again.

It’ll be okay.

@katrina2017 Definitely agree the risks of not getting vaccinated far outweigh the short term pain of getting them. Also you most likely don’t remember getting vaccinated as a baby, she won’t either!

@davidschmitt Ugh. We just did this about two weeks ago. My kid cried so hard after the first shot and then very angrily gave the lady a look afterwards and then proceeded to cry into my chest. When she went for the next shot my kid continued with his pissed off look again. I have to admit it was a tad funny knowing how much he didn’t like her. But of course, I couldn’t help it and I cried and swayed him and then he was fine but tired the remainder of the day. The only thing that makes me feel okay about it all is that I know it’s for his own good but also it feels as if it strengthens his trust in me to make him feel better.

@davidschmitt I used to cry just like you. But ever since my son had to get labs done for surgery, holding down a baby in hopes to get blood drawn from them, really does a number on you that when I went for his 4 month shots today, 2 weeks post op, I was totally unfazed.

His dr quickly put one needle in per leg and of course he screamed, but was totally fine 10 minutes later. In fact he napped great today. If he can survive blood work and be happy 15 mins later and sleeping, he can do it all.

He also had skull surgery, which I know is ALOT for most adults and was only given Tylenol to recover with.

Point is, they’re very resilient and she won’t even care very soon after. Have a baba and hugs ready.

@falerin Wow! Tough little guy having skull surgery. I hope he is recovering well :)

And I totally agree. After having seen my son hospitalized for 7 weeks (NICU stay) and needing literally countless IVs , feeding tube , breathing tube etc during that time I feel pretty unfazed by the shots. I’m also a peds nurse so am pretty used to it. It still hurts to see him cry of COURSE but I really have a “short term pain for long term gain” about medical stuff, especially vaccinations. So many moms throughout history would’ve wished they could protect their kids from these diseases💔

I do think parent reaction can have an effect too. Like not getting too upset yourself and smiling and saying aww baby, we’re all done!! And immediately feeding them or cuddling/bouncing/singing to them. I find at that age they do get over it pretty quickly and certainty won’t remember it!

Cheers again to your son ♥️ and good luck OP with upcoming shots!

Back