Hi y’all, is anyone one and done due to health? I’m falling apart postpartum

@laurencesantos Have not. I was followed closely by my docs because I had to go back into the hospital less than 24 hours after being discharged with my son. My left side of m pelvis is actually 2mm higher than the right, and many doctors think this is the cause of my pelvis issue

@laurencesantos Yeah it sucks. Whatever, my boy is with me and I’m not putting myself through it again. Going back to the gym has boosted my confidence tremendously so I’m in a better spot mentally and physically now. ALSO finally having me time and feeling like myself is another reason to not have another

@laurencesantos I have an advanced version of hEDS along with other health conditions, and because of that, I am fully one and done. I know I could not handle or be as good of a mom to two kids as I can be to my one son.

@laurencesantos I have Maythurners syndrome where the artery in my left leg presses down on the vein and makes me a high risk for DVT. I had a major one in my late twenties which is how I was diagnosed. I had to be on injections of a blood thinners throughout my pregnancy and it was not fun. I also suffered from severe PPA that combined with the pandemic was not a fun time. I am about to turn 40 and having a second child is not worth risking my life and my sanity.

@jeannaj If u go to orthopedic and they do an X-ray it won’t show oci. Orthopedic will tell u it’s hip bursitis. And prescribe injections. Gotta insist on mri. Hip bursitis is misdiagnosed in 70% cases I mean in 70% cases it’s not hip bursitis. Orthopedics lack knowledge. I’ve been to a few. Good luck! There’s a group on Facebook called osteitis condensans illi has about 800 of us from all over the world. Normally exercises and stretches flare it up and things get worse

@laurencesantos Thanks for posting this. I feel this deeply daily. I have a CSF leak. Was told that I was imagining a lot of my symptoms PP and after 19 different appointments and my ears leaking fluid I ended ip at a Neurosurgeon who told me I have a leak but it is too late to repair. I am currently in all the therapies and have all the doctor’s weekly. We wanted another but feels very unfair to the child I currently have.

@charlefdwylie Ughh Im sorry it sounds miserable too 😢 I can somewhat relate to your experience. Two doctors told me I was crazy and supposedly imagining my symptoms. Turns out I’m not crazy and wasn’t making anything up. Sending good wishes your way and fastest resolution/improvement to your situation!

@laurencesantos Health is definitely one of the many reasons. I lost a LOT of blood during delivery. My placenta wouldn't detach. I was on the brink of transfusion (thankfully I didn't need that because boy that would have been pricey) but that meant I had to wait for my body to replace all that blood on its own. I was weak to the point that I couldn't walk on my own for a few days. And I could only walk very short distances for a couple of weeks (couch to the bathroom would have me tired out). I wasn't functioning even remotely normally again until 3 months later... So for those three months I had extreme fatigue and weakness, heart palpitations, chest tightness, and a hell of a lot of anxiety.
I can't imagine going through that again with TWO children to take care of....assuming I made it through the second time at all. There were a few times that I literally thought I was dying. When you lose so much blood that you can't see anymore...that feels like dying. No thank you. OAD for me.

@laurencesantos I’m a dad and I’ve had several health issues around our baby arrived (close to five years ago), that turned chronic. I have neurological issues, and sleep is absolute essential to my health, and some a few other things that knock me out of health a few time a year.

If had another kid, I’d have to make a choice between being a supportive partner and a relatively healthy person, and that’s just not a position I’m willing to put myself in.

@laurencesantos I'm one and done due to my multiple health issues. I wasn't even planning on carrying the first time around but then our surrogacy arrangement fell through and COVID hit and I knew our only chance was me getting pregnant. I ended up getting pregnant immediately after we started trying and I was right - it was absolute hell. I'm almost three years postpartum now and I would say I'm about 85% recovered on a good day. Still have diastasis recti, still haven't lost the pregnancy weight, still bloody exhausted 24/7 and still hate the way I look. Was it worth it? For my daughter, absolutely. But for another child who doesn't yet exist, no. I cannot do it.

@laurencesantos I go back and forth on committing to being OAD.

But I was diagnosed with peripartum cardiomyopathy which is a very rare form of heart failure caused by the stress of pregnancy on my heart. Although I had a very easy pregnancy and delivery. This appeared 2 weeks pp.

Depending on how well my heart heals, we could possibly have another one. But there’s no guarantee my heart won’t worsen or recover again.