Hair tournequettes are a thing! Be aware!

@christlover69 Sure! Just apply a pea sized amount over the area with the least amount of hair or where the hair is most visible. Check the area every few minutes to see if the hair has broken down enough to be removed. Keep in mind that it will likely cause skin breakdown because little ones have such sensitive skin, but that is preferable to the alternative of losing the digit.

@tecumsehmaverick In the ER they use Nair. I wouldn’t use Nair on my baby’s penis because it can burn and in my personal experience it reacts with sweat. You did the right thing because it’s very serious. We’ve had two hair tourniquets so I keep him in socks or footed pajamas. I’ve used angled cuticle nippers to remove the hair. The hair cut into the bottom of his toe.

@tecumsehmaverick I had this happen to my daughter's finger a few weeks ago and now I check fingers and toes at every diaper change. Hairs can also wrap around the nipple of the pacifier! I found that out when I had to pull a long hair out of her mouth in her sleep.

@tecumsehmaverick I'm so sorry you went through this! I was (and still am) so paranoid about this that I don't think I've let my hair down around my baby yet. And he is now almost 10 months old 😂

@tecumsehmaverick Oof. My hair gets EVERYWHERE. I have about 2 feet of it and you find blonde hair all over the house. Bf almost choked on it in his car. How did it get in his throat when I was at work for hours? We may never know. I have added this to my list of things to check on the baby.

@tecumsehmaverick This happened to my husband as a baby! His mum has really long curly hair and one wrapped around his finger soooo tight nothing could get it off. So his grandma stuck his finger in her mouth and slowly and gently gnawed it off. She said it took ages!

I was so paranoid about this kind of thing happening that every single diaper change I'd scan my daughters fingers and toes. But no one really talks about it with new parents.

You absolutely made the right call - if it goes unnoticed it could (rarely) lead to amputation!