Hair tournequettes are a thing! Be aware!

@tecumsehmaverick I saw a post like this a few months before I was born. Baby’s dad thought I was anxious over nothing. We both have very short hair- like clipper short.

Well, long story short, we had to move away from baby’s dad and in with grandma who has long hair that falls out everywhere! Best believe I keep a sharp eye out for hairs.

He got one wrapped around his toes once but I caught it before it got tight.

Thanks to a post like this one. Thank you for sharing!

@tecumsehmaverick Oh my! thanks for sharing! I had read a similar story about a year ago and told my husband we have to be careful since we both have long hair.

I think you were smart to call for help!

@tecumsehmaverick I know it’s not funny but I couldn’t help but laugh at the thought of a huge firetruck coming to help out with that 😂😂 I could see it happening to me and my neighbors thinking our house was on fire, and having to explain it’s a hair wrapped around the baby’s toe. You did the right thing though OP!

@tecumsehmaverick The only reason I was aware of such a thing was because a close friend of mine would always check her kid for hair wrapped around limbs and digits when he was fussy. It was just one of checks on the list of reasons a baby could be crying. So I did the same when I had my baby.

@tecumsehmaverick Hey dont feel bad about over reacting. I straight under reacted to my kid busting her forehead open at daycare. They called me and by the time i got there the bleeding had pretty much stopped but there was still a gash so i casually asked if we could just slap a bandaid on it and call it good.

Lol no they were like “uh we can but you should definitely take her to a dr…”

The dr agreed that my kid definitely needed some stitches.

@tecumsehmaverick This happened to my son when he was 8 months old. We tried to clip it at home and thought we got it, but the next day his toe looked worse. I took him to the pediatrician and he couldn’t cut the hair either. He gave us Nair to use and it dissolved the hair!

@tecumsehmaverick I read a comment from an ER nurse once that they usually use Nair or Veet for these. I have long hair and my post partum hair loss has begun so I went right out and bought a thing of Nair for the emergency first aid kit.

@tecumsehmaverick My hair was past my shoulder blades and coming out by the handful after having my son, I was terrified of this so lopped the whole lot off, we're talking almost pixie cut. It's still coming out but the handful 6 months on almost so I'm glad I did it, plus the upkeep is so much easier! 🤣

@tecumsehmaverick This happened to us too with hair wrapped around two of his fingers. Had to use scissors and I was so scared I was gonna cut him- but it worked out.

Don’t be embarrassed- your baby was super uncomfortable and needed help- and you got him the help he needed. Good work

@tecumsehmaverick My mom always taught me that it's better to call 911 and risk feeling silly, rather than not call 911 and end up in real trouble just because you were worried about being embarrassment.

You made the right call, mama. Good job taking care of your little one!

@tecumsehmaverick My friend is a paramedic and she once told me a story of a “hair tourniquet” wrapped around a little baby’s penis. So yes, they are a thing and yes, 911 is usually called. So glad your little baby is ok!