Hair tournequettes are a thing! Be aware!

@tecumsehmaverick It happened to my 3rd. When I pulled on the hair to pull it off it actually tightened and started cutting into the skin. I have never seen hair do that before. Get help immediately if this happens. Thankfully my husband was home and we have an urgent care right down the street. I was still ready to dial 911 if they couldn’t get to it fast enough. The dr just happened to not have his magnifying glasses AND couldn’t find Nair in the building. He was able to cut it and said it was hard to know for sure, but he thinks he got it. Ummmm …..wtf? My little one hardly wears socks since this happened. I HAVE to see his toes at all times! It was traumatizing. It healed so fast though, and he was just fine. I’m surprised it didn’t hurt him more, he didn’t cry much at all. I had one friend after that tell me it happened to her DD’s toe and her other DD’s finger, and then my neighbor said it happened to her little baby boy’s penis. I think its more common than people realize. Two out of those three needed to call 911. I’m just glad I took his socks off before he fell asleep! Always check!!!!!

@tecumsehmaverick I read about them just before my now three year old was born. I’ve got very long hair, and I’m constantly loosing it. I was forever pulling it out of my daughters fingers and toes, often it was tightly wrapped. It’s actually a scary.

You did the right thing.

@tecumsehmaverick I've not read all the comments so sorry if someone else has mentioned this.

Keep hair removal cream at home. It works and I know a pharmacist who has used it when a parent brought their baby into one of our pharmacies with the same issue.

@tecumsehmaverick I read a horror story about someone finding one around their sons little guy so I check EVERYWHERE. Especially since my hair is love. I couldnt imagine going to change a diaper and seeing his little dong blue because hair was wrapped around it 😅 I'm glad your babys ok. I cant imagine how scary that must have been and I totally agree with others! Calling someone was definitely the right call in this situation.

@tecumsehmaverick I think you did the right thing, that sounds really scary! I would have been freaking out. But thank you for sharing the story, it’s not something I would have thought about before.

@tecumsehmaverick I had this happen to me as an adult once. I was asleep and woke up to a horrible pain in my toe. In the dark I couldn't figure out what it was. Then I turned the light on and saw it. It was so painful. Poor baby.

@tecumsehmaverick I have anxiety of this. I always always check my kids for any piece of hair. I even cut my hair from middle of my back to over my shoulders to void it. I’m always swiping their hands and toes looking for hair.

@tecumsehmaverick I am literally getting my long hair chopped off today because I have a fear of this happening! So happy they were able to get it off. I read somewhere that nair hair remover is also good to use since it’ll simply dissolve the hair.

@tecumsehmaverick You did the right thing calling for help! My hair is down to my butt so I check bubs hands and feet frequently and twice she’s had a hair wrapped around a finger (though one of those times was fur from my golden retriever 😅). It’s definitely scary!

@tecumsehmaverick My 8 month old daughter still has a very faint scar and you can even feel the skin slightly raised/hardened where she had a broken piece of elastic string from her sock wrap around her ankle. The line where it was wrapped around was so dark purple when I found it! Definitely a thing.

@tecumsehmaverick Isn't it a fucked up thing that we have to worry about Post Partum hair loss AND that extra hair we lose could wind up wrapped around our baby's little fingers and toes?! CMON, why?!

@tecumsehmaverick I work in an emergency department and we keep a pack of nair hair removal cream in the drug cupboard for this! Easy way to dissolve the hair and then wash it all off as soon as the hair is gone ☺️