Explaining financial limitations to a 3-4 year old?

ijtee

Hey everyone, I’m fortunate enough that, when I take my daughter shopping, I will usually buy her a small toy (she doesn’t go with me often). Depends on the situation, but that’s the deal for the most part. We keep it around $5 and haven’t had issues. The last couple of times we’ve gone out, she’s asked for toys way out of that price range and I tried to explain that they’re too expensive but that she can choose from A, B, or C $5-8 toys. Tantrum ensues but I’ll give her another chance, tantrum continues, we leave, no toy.

Is there a better way to explain finances to a child 3-4 years old or is it just enforcing the boundaries I’ve set (you can have A, B, or C)?

@terressagirl We do something similar. LO can pick one thing he wants from the grocery store (within reason). The item has been different types of yogurt, crackers, pint of chocolate milk. He likes picking out things he’s never had before and it’s a good way to get him excited to come with me.

@ijtee We've had several ER visits in the last few months and my toddler has decided that it is fun? She started asking if we could go to the ER. We explained that Mama makes one money and Dada makes one money. Since we had to go to the ER twice, we are all out of money. She thinks that we should start making more money, but seems to understand that each visit already took our money. Reminding her that we only have two money seems to also work when she asks for something that we don't normally get - she knows we need to save money so we can go to the ER next time.

@rosierose As a Canadian this seems so sad - I like the “one money, two money” idea in general, but the thought of limiting the amount of medical help you can get based on how much money you have is awful.

@cakee I don’t understand why you are getting downvoted.It is a sad reality for us here in the U.S. Like you noted “one money, two money” still makes sense, what a depressing reason to have to teach that lesson.

@jonkaro Agreed it’s sad, but I can say as a ‘Murrican I’m so tired of every thread becoming a “poor you guys, your healthcare sucks” fest from other countries. We know it sucks. We live with it every day.

Edit: the petty downvote? Really? Lol. Sorry I offended you!

@timghost But it does suck, and we should keep saying so until it changes. I really am not bothered when nationals of other countries notice the absurdity.

@cakee I agree. For us, I am really just using as a tool to help explain one of the many reasons we aren't going to the ER for a bruise. For a lot of people, the ER bills that we've gotten could be financially crippling.

@rosierose My toddler also enjoys the ER. When he hit his head and passed out (3 times), I was a nervous wreck and vomited on the way to the ER. But him? He asked the next day to go back because he got to sit in a big bed and play toys while eating graham crackers and Gatorade. Then the doctor gave him a cool bandaid (that he actually didn’t need).

@ijtee In my opinion it’s never to early to start. Perhaps give her what you intend to spend in cash and relate that to what the price is on the toy. If you give her 8 $1 bills and the price is $10 unfortunately that specific toy is not within her budget. Fortunately, stores have many products so perhaps it’d be best to keep shopping for something within her target price range.

@ijtee It may be a tad early for your daughter, but we introduced pocket money at the age of 5. Our son gets €1 per week which he can either put into his piggy bank or his purse to pay for whatever small item he wants (on the rare occasions) when we go shopping together. It works for us because he's always excited to come with me, insists on his own kiddie cart, helps putting groceries on the belt and is totally fascinated by the concept of paying :D

Back