Exclusively breastfeeding vs Pumping?

@vlisco Basically the motion of breastfeeding helps promote jaw muscles and jaw bone to grow how they should (potentially lessening need for orthodontics later). Plus it reduces mouth breathing which can contribute to dental decay. Also there's whole things about bottlefed babies going on to have juice in bottles which is bad (but obviously not all bottlefed babies do that).

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11799699/

https://www.enclavedental.com/blog/2021/09/08/holistic-dentist-southlake-explains-oral-health-benefits-breastfeeding/#:~:text=Proper%20Jaw%20Development&text=A%20study%20featured%20in%20Pediatrics,bite%2C%20overbite%2C%20and%20underbite.

@robinrocks I pumped 1-2x a day for a year and hated it. I honestly admire anyone who exclusively pumps, because it is WORK. Also, you're still feeding your baby from your breasts. You are breastfeeding and you're doing a great job.

@robinrocks This is not science based, just my experience and I'm sure it can be different for other people.

My son had a recessed jaw and couldn't latch properly so I EP for 9.5 months and it sucked sooooo bad.

Constantly cleaning pump parts and bottles.

Having to take a pump with me anytime I went out and the logistics of keeping the milk cold until I got home.

Missing out on the bonding time with baby.

It gets expensive.

It just sucked. Currently pregnant and already decided if I am in this situation again, kiddo is getting formula and she will be just fine.

@robinrocks When people say exclusively breast feeding they usually mean breast milk as opposed to formula, not necessarily at the breast vs pumped breast milk. The possible advantages to direct vs pumping is more on you than baby in terms of less dishes etc, but can make you feel touched out or put pressure of being default parent. Having done both I didn't find one or the other better, just different.

@robinrocks The good news is you're exclusively breastfeeding. Pumping is still considered exclusively breastfeeding.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6866013/

The World Health Organisation (WHO) defines exclusive breastfeeding (EBF) as when ‘an infant receives only breast milk, no other liquids or solids are given – not even water, with the exception of oral rehydration solution, or drops/syrups of vitamins, minerals or medicines’ (World Health Organization 2016).

So if someone is pushing "exclusively breastfeeding" they're not discouraging pumping, they're promoting exclusively drinking breastmilk, as opposed to solids, water, or formula.

This term is confusing (see paper for all the other ways people were confused about it!)

@robinrocks There's no difference in terms of nutrition for your baby. In terms of convenience for you and for the viability of continuing your BF journey longer term, figuring out how to get your baby to take the breast will be easier! I'd try to get an evaluation by a lactation consultant to see what the problems are with your baby latching. If there are no problems, also keep in mind that babies don't necessarily know how to breastfeed at first. They have to get good at it. My son became proficient after a couple of months and it was hard for both of us! The first few weeks especially were very painful for me and frustrating for both of us.

@thesavvy Thank you for sharing your story! I am involved with LC’s and see them weekly, I’ll continue to try my hardest for sure. I’m just trying not to fall into the mindf*ck of feeling bad about her and I not doing well with it yet! Good to know she also has time to learn :)

@robinrocks Pumping was very time consuming and difficult for me. I didn't get as much milk as he needed and then I had to sterilize and clean bottles after. It takes me so much more time. My baby was also difficult to breastfeed at first and we supplemented formula, but now I can feed him easily in 10-15 minutes and don't have to sterilize bottles after. There's also some scientific benefits I've seen like jaw development. But for me it's all about saving time and spending more time with my baby instead of stuck to a pump.

@robinrocks I’ve both pumped exclusively and breastfed from the tap exclusively as well as bottle fed a lot of babies formula and it’s 100% the least work to just pop my boob out and feed a baby instead of bottle prep, storage, pumping and everything.

@robinrocks My wife is exclusively pumping. It's rough on her. We're at 6 months. Little guy just won't take a boob. The upside is we know how much he's eating and we have 5 months of oversupply. It also allows me to take late night feedings on weekends or if she's too tired.

@robinrocks I exclusively pumped for a year. I really tried to BF in the beginning but it really took a toll on my mental health. I saw multiple LCs, did combo feeding, did the formula drip to the nipple, etc, and in the end pumping was so much easier. I was able to build up an awesome stash (I was an over supplier for better or for worse), I gave several hundred ounces to a close friend who couldn’t produce BM, my partner was able to feed baby, baby didn’t develop a parent preference because we could equally soothe, I knew how much milk he was getting, he was satiated for longer so he slept better, WE slept better.

Yes I had to have a set pumping schedule that got more manageable over time, you have to buy a lot of stuff (bottles that baby will take, storage, extra pump parts so you don’t have to wash everything all the time, etc), I had 2 pumps (1 for work, 1 for home), (I had a job that was flexible enough so I could pump uninterrupted at work as much as I needed to), I didn’t travel far during his first year of life, we had to prep bottles every night for the next day, and I got mastitis 3 times (from being an over supplier) - BUT! the beginning trying to get him to breastfeed was so intensely hard for me I take all of that.

@robinrocks If you have a partner who can help with cleaning parts and milk management (freezing and keeping track of supply) pumping isn’t that much of an inconvenience. I do both, I love the closeness with my baby when breastfeeding but I love knowing that there’s a stash for him in the fridge and that my husband can also help with feeds.

@robinrocks For me it was way easier to pump in the beginning - I don't know if it was the pain, or being able to have my partner do a feed if I was just too exhausted, or him seeming like he was more satisfied after the bottle than the boob - but we did half the feeds with a bottle up til around 4 weeks. Then something changed and breastfeeding became way easier so pumping and bottles became way more of a hassle in comparison. My baby is almost 4 months now and I haven't pumped at all since he was 6wks old. I don't even have a "stash". Every meal is boob! Just do what works for you and your baby and keep in mind that it may change over time!

@coolworld187 Thanks for your comment! It gives me hope seeing all of these people who’s babies eventually “got the hang of it”. I’d love to breastfeed eventually and continue to try, but keep reminding myself “fed is best” when I get too down about the struggle.

@robinrocks It’s easier to pump when they can’t move around. It’s easier to nurse when they’re older. But babies can get used to bottles, so it’s best to try to get the baby to nurse now for ease in the future. There’s nothing wrong about exclusively pumping, and it’s the same breastmilk other than skin to skin time. But quality of life is easier if you don’t have to do double the work—first pumping, then feeding. Nursing streamlined it into 1 process