Exclusively breastfeeding vs Pumping?

@robinrocks Of you are BF your body releases so much hormones and therefor it’s (for me) the most beautifull thing I’ve ever done.

When they are older BF is also for comfort, processing their they etc.

If you decide not to directly BF you won’t let your baby miss anything. But if you’re able to give it I would recommend it. It’s giving me and my LO so much and I would recommend it to everyone whose considering BF.

@robinrocks There is a massive amount of communication that is lost between infant and mother when pumping exclusively. Each time the baby feeds the milk is tailor made for that babies needs in real time. Little boy babies have different milk than little girl babies. It is F-ing wild.

Also babies are more likely to over eat when given a bottle and so are therefore set up for being overweight and will have to unlearn those behaviors of seeking instant gratification in their lifetime (but who are we kidding we all need to learn that).

It will be difficult to do the switch because she will not want to have to work for the let down but it is doable with some persistence. I have heard many a lactation consultant say there is no such thing as nipple confusion just that there is a learning curve for both options. You definitely can still have dad help during the night and have bottles mixed in. In fact as a mother with four kids who never took bottles because I didn’t introduce it early enough or consistently enough a bottle a day at the very least is what I would suggest if you want it to be an option. My kids would rather go for 8-10 hours without eating anything over a bottle.

@mella Have you exclusively pumped? You say it’s difficult to do the switch but your kids “never took bottles” so you have no idea what you’re talking about.

The backwash theory is just a theory which needs more research. As long as mom and baby are together closely, antibodies will be made, milk will adjust as baby gets older.

EPing is absolutely breastfeeding just a much harder form of it than nursing (from a mom who EPed one child and nursed another). People who EP know what they are missing out on- that’s why they work so hard. I hate when people who have an easy time nursing act like EPing isn’t a last resort.

@yoursmile Obviously I have not EP and I never said it was a choice YOU made but people do make it because the entry hurdle of the latch is often perceived as too high. This mother is saying EP is not a necessity and wondering if there are benefits to trying to clear that hurdle. Even you (in your comment) confirm that there are absolutely benefits.

Also who the fuck said I had and easy time breastfeeding? I had to work at it like every other new mother especially with my premature daughter who was born at 35+3.

@robinrocks I had to pump as well after baby was born but was able to transition her to the breast later on, which is so much less work as others had noted. Two other benefits to breastfeeding that I hadn’t seen here are that different hormones are released during different times of the day for baby (such as melatonin at night). As well, baby’s saliva will tell the mother’s body what antibodies baby needs. Fed is best though and the early days are so exhausting so do what you need to do to feed your baby.

@robinrocks I couldn’t get my baby to nurse for the first month and I was exclusively pumping. She was also a NICU baby. I almost gave up but omg once it clicked and she would nurse directly, life was SO MUCH EASIER. If pumping works for you, that’s great! Our pediatrician told me that I would breastfeed for longer if she nursed directly and looking back, I absolutely think that’s true. I just pumped my last pump at work today and I am SO HAPPY!! She is 15 months and I will still nurse her morning and night for some time because I love the bonding but I will not miss the pumping 😅

@frivgames A little late here, but do you have any tips on how you made it click. I’m about 1 month in like you of pumping and ready to give up on breastfeeding. So much discouraging things online about how important the first few weeks of breast feeding are, and it makes me feel like I missed the boat.

@xxsinnerxx I worked with a lactation consultant and made sure that we were set up for success. However, that was from the beginning and I was still having no success. I was really really discouraged as well. What really made the difference was taking a long weekend and committing to it. My partner supported me in that he took care of everything except feeding the baby. So, my mission that weekend was just to give her as many opportunities as possible to nurse. I don’t know exactly what did it but it just clicked that weekend!
I remember feeling like you are feeling and it is awful. I wish you all the best in finding a way to feed your baby that works for your baby AND for you. That last part is important!!