EnJoY yOuR sLeEp NoW

@vanerahelson It’s really frustrating to me to hear people say this to pregnant woman.

I get it, as someone 1+ year postpartum, I GET what they’re trying to warn you of. That sleep loss and the inherent discomfort is different than a child needing you 24/7 and waking you up at random hours when you have finally fallen asleep peacefully.

But the thing is, it’s not helpful. It’s not like we can sleep better in preparation. And it doesn’t feel good to be told this is better than what comes next. It just depresses you early on and then you still have to go through that sleepless phase after they are born.

I get what they’re trying to do, but I don’t think they really understand that what they are doing accomplishes nothing but making people unhappy for no reason.

Nobody needs warnings about the sleepless. We will all experience it one way or another.

It’s funny, because it reminds me a lot of my time in the military. In the shipyards, there’s this transition you go through. The first half of the shipyard time is usually shitty but also great. It’s shitty because you’re bored, you’re stuck at work with not a lot to do, the conditions suck, but you do get to go home early. But often they would do this thing before the transition into work ramping up, where they would make us stay late even though there’s nothing to do, to prepare us for the long hours ahead. What the fuck is the point of that except to just make us depressed and miserable before the stressful times come? I could never wrap my head around it.

I think most people agreed since the majority of us did not reenlist.

@vanerahelson If I didn’t sleep enough I puked all day 1st trimester I told my mom to shut her damn mouth when she said this. I’m not ‘enjoying’ shit I’m surviving

Back