We f***ed up. Ruined sleep trained baby

@srjoanna Cuddle before bed is the only time I get to bond with my 5 years old, and we are already drifting apart if not for the night cuddles. That is when she finally opens up and talks about her day, feelings, etc. I look forward to that every night. It was more of a chore and less fun when she was little but worth it in the long run and it definitely helps us stay connected.

@srjoanna It sounds like your son found out what us adults like so much, how good it feels to cuddle someone we love and fall asleep with them by our side. Just my two cents.

@dfgsdfgdfg Literally this - if not all, then most children have the need for closeness, togetherness and affection. Not judging the author of post but it sounds like the little one has discovered a need he previously wasn’t aware of.

@dfgsdfgdfg Absolutely this. My LO has been falling to sleep cuddling since 6MO, she's nearly 2 now, and it's such an amazing opportunity for us to bond after days we've spent separately - she's in kindergarten and I'm working.

@srjoanna So we had this.

We moved our 2.5year old to a floor mattress for one night. We had the same it was a disaster. I had to lie next to her and calm her to sleep which I have never ever done before in her life.

We switched back to the cot for a month.

We then bought a single bed and proper mattress with a guard rail. We made a big thing about it being her bed, she has pillows down one side and the guard rail on the other and she has to climb up into bed. The first night we were nervous but she was great. We had basically hit reset - so she climbed up in, we read a story and she went to sleep.

So based on only this experience I would say put him back in a cot for a few weeks. Then get a bed rather than a floor mattress - with a guard rail - and try again.

@niko Oh we did this. He jumped off the bed and slept on the floor. Thats why we put the mattress on the floor😅he will still sometimes refuses the mattress, crawl out of the mattress and pit his head on the carpet 😅

@doulos74 We transitioned fine and he slept well at first. But I guess it could be a combination of both transitioning and cuddling and it could happen over the time he realizes he has more freedom now. Oh well like you said hopefully they ll all learn eventually

@heatherlynn98 How old are yours ? Ours are almost two and sleep in a big bed fine at grandma and grandpas - we haven’t transitioned them at home yet though.

And whats the floor bed ? I’ve seen it commented about a lot on here - is it just a mattress on the floor ?