7.5 mo old used to be sleep trained and now isn’t

@missymo Not OP, but those are wake windows, and the “/“ indicate when a nap should occur.

So in the example, that is a 3 nap schedule where first nap occurs 2 hours after waking, next two naps are 2.5 hours after waking from the prior nap, and then 3 hours of wake time before bed.

@stefanylove This sounds like split nights and her first wake window is way too short. I would try 2.5 and then extend to 3. It’ll be a struggle at first but she’ll get it.

There’s a 5/3/3 method for feeding that I found helpful. Don’t feed if night wake is before five hours after bedtime, otherwise you feed if she wakes up after that time and then every three hours only if she wakes up. Otherwise, I usually wait about 15 minutes. If baby doesn’t settle, go in and make sure she’s okay then leave.

First nap is 1.5 hours and second nap is 1 hour. You mean to feed her without waiting? I agree that we’re confusing her. I feel that way too. But when we don’t wait the 10 minutes, she tends to wake up multiple times the rest of the night.

@stefanylove Hi OP. Can you talk us through her schedule again? You say she does to bed at 7pm and wakes at 6.30am (11.5 hr night) and naps for 1&1.5hrs (2.5hrs naps) but you say wake windows are 2/3/3.5 (8.5 wake time). This adds up 22.5 hrs, not a 24hr day! So something isn't quite right here.

@stefanylove I’d wait the 10 minutes, then go in and feed. If you want to night wean, gradually decrease the amount of time you’re BF or gradually decrease the ounces. It’s a long and tedious process but it does work with consistency. You can also 5/3/3 method of feeding during the night.

I started doing feedings right after baby wakes up so they’re still somewhat sleepy. I also sort of conditioned my baby to drink more by playing The Happy Song and cheering him on while he drinks lol. I’ve heard offering it in a dark non-stimulating room helps.

It’s two step process to have her eating more calories during the day so she doesn’t fall back on those middle of the night feeds. I’ve sometimes resorted to cartoons just for breakfast, like Sesame Street or Ms. Rachel.

@stefanylove Try extending first WW to 3. If she’s having split nights, maybe she needs more awake time.

Also depends on how much total nap time she’s getting. What’s her full schedule like ?

For night wakes, just stick to one way of responding. Otherwise you’re just confusing her. If you’re going to feed, just go feed her. You’re switching up the responses so she doesn’t know, she’ll probably just continue to cry hoping/knowing you guys will come.