Dr says I’m overfeeding

@glen101 If you baby want it, give it to them. They know what their body needs more than your doctor... I hate that advice. You baby will just stop eating if they are full.

@glen101 Also, research shows that babies shouldn't be given anything solid, including baby cereal, until 6 months. Their guts are not ready for anything else before 6 months.

@glen101 My first was EBF so I dont know how much they got per feed, but they overate and we knew it because they would literally nurse until they vomitted and then wanted to eat more now that they made room with the vomitting. We ha to time and cut off feeds after 20 mins.

Every baby is different. My overeating baby has never gained more than 1lb in a month. They’re now 2 and barely 20 lbs. My second was also EBF and gained 1lb a week and was almost 20lbs at 6 months. Both totally normal and totally healthy.

@glen101 My baby was born 8.6lbs and 19” tall, he basically doubled his birth weight by his 4 month appt. At his 6 mo appt he was 18.6lbs and 27” tall. Babies rarely over eat and when mine does, occasionally, he spits it back up😅 I can say his ped has been very happy with how chunky he is

@glen101 Nonsense. What percentile is your baby? Ive seen 99th% and those babies are chunky and still healthy. We have a baby in our baby time at the library who is 10th% and shes so small but also healthy. My son is 98Th% height but 20% weight also healthy. Find a new pediatrician

@glen101 My preemie baby was eating 2.5 oz a feeding when she weighed 5lbs.
Birth weight was 4lbs she is now 14 weeks and eats 3.5-4oz a feeding. Don’t listen to your doctor. Causes so many issues when doctors aren’t truly informed that every baby is different.

@glen101 Babies will spit up if it’s too much for their stomach to hold. My doctor told me to let the baby have as much of the bottle as he wanted he drank all six oz and promptly vomit it back up. He was chronically underweight, but if I let him have the bottle he’d drink it all and proceed to vomit it all up. So I’d feed him like four oz like the feeding guid suggested and he was totally fine. Maybe like a tinny bit of spit up but nothing like when he over fed. I stopped listening to that doctor he was technically overweight by one year but he grew in hight and was normal weight by 18 month check up. That’s just how he grows he gets a belly and shoots up a few inches. Even now at six years old he’ll go through periods where he stuff his face like his starving than I need to buy him new pants.

@glen101 I was in the same boat. Both of my kids were eating 3-4 oz when we left the hospital. I also had supplement with both my kids. My son was eating 10-12oz at 6 months. My pediatrician said I was over feeding him for a 6mo. I pushed back because back because although he was 6mo, he was the size of a 1yo (2'6" and 22lbs). Kid very rarely overeat... follow your gut

@glen101 My baby was exclusively breastfed, was 6.6 at birth and by the 8 week mark he was already 13 pounds lol some babies are just big. Now (21 months) he is over the 100th percentile on height but he is on the thin side for weight. Babies usually eat what they need to eat. Offer as much milk as they ask for, just as you'd do with breastmilk. But please, DON'T put cereals on a 9 week old bottle. It's full of sugars and really bad for them at that age (really they don't recommend it for any ages nowadays). It could prevent baby to get as much milk and nutrients as they need.

@glen101 I had three babies, all over 9 pounds. My oldest was insatiable. Never slept through the night until over a year because he would just wake up hungry. He would drink large bottles. My youngest is 8 months old and still only drinks about 4-5 oz. But he’s still over 90%! All this to say, if your baby is hungry, feed him/her. If your baby is taking 5-6 oz and spitting it all up, maybe slow your roll but it sounds like he’s hungry and you know to feed him more. Big babies sometimes just eat more! And fear not, it all evens out. My oldest is 10 and while he’s tall he’s skinny and healthy and fast. My second, also a 9 pound baby is equally healthy. Listen to your mom gut and feed your baby the nutrition he needs.

I personally am not a fan of cereal. There’s no nutrition in it. It’s better for babies to get the nutrition of milk at that age, even if they just need more or more often.

@glen101 I would ask the doctor how they decide what “too much” weight gain is. Sure, if you’re just feeding baby every time they’re fussy I’d get it. But it sounds like baby is telling you she wants more! But if there’s a true medical concern, then your doctor should do more than just just say you’re “feeding too much”.

In my experience, my son had more spit up when fed too much and he clearly had a belly ache. This happened a few times when trying to increase his ounces and we went too fast.

I would not follow the cereal advice. That is very outdated. Even if it’s tempting.

@glen101 My baby sometimes ate more than the recommended amount too. All babies are different. Ignore both of them honestly. Mine was high 90’s percentile before she got mobile, but she wasn’t even a super chunky baby. Now she’s about average for a toddler. I will also say, do not use baby cereal as a way to “fill” your baby. We had to use it bc my baby had severe silent reflux (like to the point of affecting her breathing and causing sandifer syndrome) but it was a small amount and didn’t affect her feeding schedule. Go with your instincts and what works for your baby.

@glen101 If baby is fed partially on formula and you’re looking for a bit of education (you may not need it, but it could be helpful), Google “responsive feeding”- if you are using bottle-feeding techniques based on responsive feeding and your baby isn’t throwing up, your baby just needs that much food!

@glen101 When he was an infant, my oldest always ate well over the “recommended” amount. Almost from about 2ish weeks on until I started him on cereals at 4ish months, he was taking 5-7oz every feeding. I tried doing just 4 ounces and he would still be hungry.

I cant say how much my youngest ate because she was almost exclusively breastfed and I occasionally supplemented with formula but she only got breast milk directly from me (for the life of me I could not pump). But I know she got full enough to go into those little baby food comas after eating so I know she was getting enough.

I would follow your baby’s cues on when they’re full, not when the doc thinks they should be full. Every baby is different and I think some doctors forget that.

@glen101 If your baby wants more formula, I would carefully add small amounts. You know your baby better than the Dr does. But I would be careful introducing cereal so young. Esp if she’s alrdy having issues. When my daughter was a baby, she didn’t latch so they switched her to formula. She would throw the majority of it back up. They would try soy or carnation good start (easier to digest) & it would come out as soon as she swallowed. Like the exorcist. Was insane. She was so tiny & couldn’t gain weight. I was at the dr constantly trying to get help then he informs me that she is too small & if she doesn’t gain x amount by next week he was calling cps on me. Mind you, I had been there like 2xs a week trying to find something she could eat (and formula is freaking expensive). I reported him to the board & got a new Dr. I get they are mandated reporters & think that is important but he refused to help w the problem (acted like it was in my head) then spazzed when she was dropping weight (kept telling me there was no way she was puking that much, she would be dead. Nurse said she seen it happen repeatedly & he rolled his eyes.

@glen101 My son was 7# 10 oz at birth and almost 13 lbs at 2 month appointment. Your doctor sounds ridiculous. Babies eat what they need to when they need to.

@glen101 My ped told us this too! Mine was born in the 50-something percentile and then shot up to the 80-90th percentiles for weight and height pretty quickly. I brushed it off every time she suggested it. He was hungry so I fed him. He lost a lot of that baby weight now that he’s a toddler. His new ped is not worried about his growth.