My mom died, I inherited her shares to the family company and my uncle says I’m not ready to lead after 13 years of hard work

@journierman Can’t fire him. He has no power here though. You’ve got this on lock down.

You can tell him to stop coming in to anything but board meetings so he can “enjoy his retirement” though. What an embarrassment he is. Yikes.

@journierman I'm so sorry for your loss. Everything you've said points to you being the better person to lead, including your coworkers and clients. Shrug off the doubts - and not just for you. Do it for them and for everyone who counts on them and counts on the company being run well.

@journierman You’ve got this.

Last year, I became a minority partner in my firm. 8 months later, our majority/founding partner passed tragically. All of the sudden I owned 1/3 of the firm and none of us new partners even had access to the admin part of our server until after his death. We were less prepared than you are and we are figuring it out.
Don’t let him shake your confidence. He’s trying to grab at power and he knows he has influence over you because I’m assuming he’s known you since before you were in this role.

Don’t doubt what your mom saw in you. Don’t doubt what your team sees in you. Don’t doubt all of the time and effort your mom invested in you.

You’ve got this.

It may be tough, especially at first, but you can do it.
And put that stupid uncle in his place. I feel like all uncles are bullies. And we don’t entertain bullies.

@journierman This will be just the first of many hard situations you’ll have to deal with as CEO. Put him in his place now. You are the majority control and best candidate for the position. His doubts don’t have to be your own. You don’t take advice from incompetent people.

@journierman I seems you’ll have to do your first termination on an employee. First, ask him to resign, list the reason why and have a witness present. If you have a HR person, let them do this part. However, be ready it’s not going to be pretty.

@journierman You're mom worked hard to bring this company to the success it has now. Are you going to let an incompetent, unethical old man destroy it?

Doubt is normal, but pretend it isn't there until it really isn't.

@journierman If you were a man, he would be holding doors open for you all the way to the executive suite. Maybe it’s time for HIM to retire since he would clearly have been fired from anywhere else decades ago.

@journierman You have control 2/3 of the company. Stop asking about things and start telling how things will be. You are competent and strong and know what you have to do. I'm sorry he's going to make you fight. Stand your ground. You got this. It's your birthright, what you've trained for, what you went to school for. Hire a lawyer to write you some letters if it comes to it.

ETA- force votes of you have to. Flex your power

@journierman Do you have enough legal and company power to fire your uncle or push him into retirement? Maybe negotiate an exit package with him? Anyway, soubds like you will be better off without him around. If you are the boss eith boss power, act like it.

@journierman Put your case in writing. Put a behavior contract together that explains how he can behave if he wants to stay. Detail a transition plan. Have a lunch meeting with him. Deliver it all in a letter. Let him complain but answer “I have gotten input from all of the stakeholders that I can including yours, and this is the best way to move forward after considering all the possibilities”. No need to provide any other information.

@journierman I'm so sorry for the loss of your mom. Stand up, take your uncles chair, and move it to the hallway where it belongs. Take your place that mom prepared you for. You have the strength, knowledge, and support to succeed as your mother would have wanted.