Did anyone start Preschool at 4 instead of 3?

@g_jio I used be a director of a daycare and teach in an elementary school and it’s really not comparable to actual school. At all. Kids are there for childcare because their parents are at work. Following a curriculum is just a bonus.

@g_jio I am so thankful I was able to be a stay at home and avoid sending my daughter to be watched over by quacks like you. Stay in your lane.

@wrath427 Wow, you are very rude. I’d worry about leaving your kids with that more than anything. Nobody needs to talk down on other parents and their choices regarding their childcare needs or name calling for internet satisfaction.

@g_jio Imm not talking down to other parents or their choices- I’m talking down specifically to you for being an insufferable know it all. Rude, yes, as necessary.

@wrath427 How? Because I stated it is like school? With all the lesson planning and involvement needed to run the course it is. If that offended you, that’s a you problem

@afolabi1024 My kid does daycare for a couple of days a week and they said they usually don’t move them into preschool until 4 and that it’s more structured than the daycare. I think a lot of daycares just call their daycare for preschool aged kids preschool though

@dardenel Same here. Mine started Pre-K through our school system at 4. The only thing available for 3yo and younger kids in my area has a fancy name but is basically daycare. She adjusted quickly and does well in school. There's no need to start at 3 if you don't have to/don't want to/the cost is an issue.

@afolabi1024 Yes. He's fine. If you're worried about your kid being prepared for kindergarten, it's not education they need. It's life skills: putting on their coat, shoes, using zippers; opening their food packages independently, cutting with scissors; using glue sticks; going potty and wiping independently; speaking up when they need help; handling conflicts with peers; and ideally knowing their phone # and home address.

The education part happens in K. My kid didn't even know how to spell his name when he started K two weeks ago. Now he's writing it like a champ. Every few days they are learning about a different letter of the alphabet. Knowing his alphabet before K is nice, but redundant (He had absolutely no interest).

@afolabi1024 Sure. Plenty of people wait. Sesame street was literally invented to help fill the gap between children who went to preschool and those who were at home. Spend intentional time with your child, let them explore the outdoors, plenty of free imaginative play, teach them life skills like zippers and hand washing. And your kid will thrive.

@pastorjman Same here with preschool at 4. In fact we started over the summer with “camp” and he was almost 5 when he went into preschool (October bday). He did great in K.

I’m hoping to start my younger next fall (also October baby) so he’ll be 3 for a month and then 4.

@afolabi1024 Honestly, my oldest did perfectly fine! He learned everything he needed or wanted to learn and cruised into kindergarten without any issues! 😂

Edited to add:
My other 2 kiddos are 3 and 1. They won’t be going to public school. But, my 3 year old (for example) can identify 10+ shapes, 10+ colors, some* sight words (maybe 10). It’s 100% do able!

@afolabi1024 Just want to add to this person's comment that I sent my son at 3 years old to preschool while I had a 3 month old at home. I really regret it now because he was constantly sick (16 bouts of illness between October and May!) And every single time my baby got sick too. It was awful and now I feel bad about what I put them both through. I know he would probably catch all the bugs if he started a year later anyway, but both children would be older and could cope better.

Back