Cosleeping vs bed sharing for 4 month old

@xuanang01 No matter how you cut it, the science is clear — sharing a bed is less safe than a separate bed for suffocation and sids. However I did bed share with both of my kids because they had horrendous reflux and laryngomalacia. If they choked I needed to hear and be there immediately. The risks of choking outweighed the risks of SIDS for us. Also, when I tried the crib, they’d scream all night. When they did sleep, I couldn’t sleep for fear they’d choke. And me not sleeping was also more dangerous to them than Sids would be. You just have to weigh the risks and then do whatever you decide as safely as possible. We got a thin and ultra firm king sized bed pad and put it in the middle of the room on the floor with no blankets. Once babies were asleep, I scooted away. They essentially had their “own” bed because they’d have to roll several times to get to me. I also never drink or smoke or do any drugs etc. It worked out for us, but I am well aware that them being in their own crib would be safer for SIDS and suffocation. But again, there were other risks for us, and you have to consider all aspects. My pediatrician supported what we ultimately did.

@xuanang01 I’m noting here that OP’s child is now 4 months old.

https://safetosleep.nichd.nih.gov/resources/providers/downloadable/infographic_byage

This info graphic from NIH shows that the bulk of SIDS happens in months 1-4, and only 10% after 6 months.

So this is not an all or nothing decision.

I tried to go back to work at about 5 months with my older daughter following the guidelines and the lack of sleep was unbearable and I fell asleep in the recliner with her at least once. Obviously unsafe.

I started bedsharing with her at about 6 months. The bulk of the SIDS risk had passed. I also let her start the night in her crib then brought her in bed when she woke up. She was also breastfeeding.

Back