Anyone else walk into a big box store and feel like they’re the only ones awake in some sort of toxic capitalist matrix?

@doubra It’s really hard! I find myself most happy in nature and most able to let go of those things. I wonder what helps other people? Medication & meditation as they say…

@doubra Agree! I was ranting to my husband about one of our local grocers being bought out by Kroger and now the whole store is changing. They got rid of the fresh flower section and replaced it with junk toys and seasonal shit. The whole path to the exit was crowded with new Cheetos that are shaped like pretzels! Like who buys this??? We don’t need it!!! Just makes me angry.

@doubra TBH I felt like this when I started learning about factory farming and the meat/dairy industry. I’m no vegan, and definitely not perfect, but it absolutely horrifies me how much people consume without realizing what they’re doing or what any of it means or where any of it comes from.

BRB while I go sit in my garden and calm down 😂

@doubra My issue is that I’m very short and Walmart particularly hides the ‘ingredient’ foods up high, above the processed items. And no, I think a lot of people are very aware of the system and feel very trapped. I know I do. Good to have compassion.

@doubra I think you’d appreciate Meow Wolf’s project called Omega Mart in Las Vegas. Very much a commentary on this theme.

I feel this way too sometimes when I end up at WalMart or, even crazier, Sam’s Club.

@doubra I had this feeling walking through my grocer yesterday and passing all the easter candy/toys. My kid doesn't eat candy yet (he's 1.5, and also generally hates anything sweet) and doesn't need toys, but I thought I might get him one or two small things for his Easter backet. There was absolutely nothing in multiple aisles that wouldn't be discarded almost immediately, nor were there any moderately healthy treat options (I have nothing against a kid having a chocolate Easter bunny, but it was shocking that there wasn't one single option that wasn't overprocessed- that shir doesn't even taste good!)

I don't really care what other people spend their money on, but it's still a little sick that there is zero sense of corporate responsibility.

@doubra yes i feel like this often 😔 seeing an increase in communities like this on social media & a more wide spread awareness due to it gives me a sliver of hope though.

i dog sit for a living, so i stay in other peoples' homes regularly. vast majority of the time, my clients shelves/fridges are stocked with products from tj, whole foods, sprouts, or a brand of that likeness.

while i do take into account that these are people who are well-off enough to pay for an in-home dog sitter while they travel regularly, and that most of these products are likely greenwashed, i still find it promising that it's become more of the norm to stray away from the typical grocery products.

i do feel for the people who feel they can't afford the nicer things or don't have the time to cook whole foods from scratch, and feel the need to stay ignorant to their food quality because of it. it doesn't take a big bank account or crazy amounts of extra time to make several small changes that can have huge impacts on your daily health. i hate that corporations try to trick us into feeling helpless.

@doubra Totally.
I don't blame parents, but I do find scary how much of our life choices are a result from lobbying from corporations and then become the default choice.
Ie. Formula pushed over breastmilk scandal.
Or how food companies were inciting parents to start solids earlier and earlier to sell more baby purees.
Or how disposable diapers have become the norm and the age of potty training pushed back further and further to sell more diapers.
Of course then there has been pushback against industry but countering the corporate discourse as above is/has not been easy. On a societal level the detrimental impacts are huge and the work undending.

@doubra I just don’t bother to walk into the center aisles at all. The edges if the store is all there is.

Also many stores now do free ordering. So you can just order what you want and pick it up from the store and don’t even have to go in.

I do feel really sad when I see what is allowed to be sold to humans and especially little children as food. It’s not peoples fault, they should be able to trust that the food they are being sold is not toxic waste and yet…

@doubra
It’s also incredibly sad to see things like baby formula and toothpaste locked up to deter theft but that’s a whole other issue.

Yeah I needed formula the other day for baby wildlife care and it was all locked I was like wtf. Didn't know people steal formula a lot

@blueruby It’s not “people” stores are protecting against. It’s theft rings that are emptying entire stores to sell thousands of dollars worth of formula on secondary market to struggling families.

@doubra Well written, OP. All of it.

I am currently trying to figure out the best way, budget-wise, to feed my partner and our baby a variety of wholesome foods that aren’t highly processed or soaked in pesticides.