A FTM birth plan thrown to the wind

@shayla22 This is purely anecdotal. I had one birth with an epidural, and one birth without. I do not regret my epidural at all, but I absolutely did experience the WEIRDEST back pain for probably about 18 months after my first (epidural) delivery. It was really only if I laid flat on my back, and it felt... I don't know, bad and wrong, lol. I had the uncontrollable urge to arch my back upward - like lying flat felt horrible. Particularly on a hard surface - on a bed wasn't so bad. Either way. I really hated it, and it gave me the jeebies that, because of where it was, and how it felt, I could absolutely tell it was from the epidural placement. My son is 3 now, and it is no longer a problem, but it was a chapter of my life that felt icky. Lol.

@mrssusana01 This could also be from a weak pelvic floor. I've had two unmedicated births and I have back pain as well and am constantly wanting to arch my back the way you described to get relief. It was wise with my first but went away after a while, but I have it again with my second but not as bad this time.

@joy613 I don't think so - mostly because it wasn't back pain, in an achy, I want to arch my back to stretch it or put strain on different muscles it sort of way - it was back pain in a localized spot on my spine that felt like touching the ground was hell so I HAD to arch my back, to keep that spot off the ground, so I wasn't uncomfortable (but arching my back was also very uncomfortable, lol). I also had no other symptoms of a weak pelvic floor, and my second unmedicated birth was pretty shortly after my first, and the pain never returned (and I didn't focus more on my pelvic floor during my second - if anything I experience some symptoms of a weak pelvic floor after delivering my second that I didn't experience before). I'd also say the pain was probably a little too high to be pelvic floor related. I feel very confident it was epidural related, but like I said - I don't regret my epidural at all. It's just a fact of having a needle put into your spine that there might be some minor complications lol

@shayla22 There are several studies over the past couple decades that have shown no increase in back pain after labour epidurals. In fact, one study I found says it may even decrease it. Granted, they’re not the highest quality studies but I’ve yet to see a study that shows INCREASED back pain.

There are many reasons a pregnant or post partum mom may have back pain - weight gain, poor posture from the pregnant belly, positioning from pushing or labour, holding the baby, etc. A person may attribute the pain to the epidural when in fact they may have had this back pain even without the epidural.

@ceecee I KNEW IT. Thank you so much for confirming this. I mean they gave my father an epidural for his back pain after back surgery so I figured it would be absurd for something to cause back pain that was specifically made to ease it.

@ceecee Question; I am terrified of getting an epidural. I had my first with some pain meds and laughing gas, my second was an emergency home birth that came on very fast, under 2 hours. Because of this if I want to have another they want me to plan a c section to avoid another emergency home birth because I guess labour gets faster each time. Any recommendations on the fear? I wish I could go watch one be done first haha. Mostly my fear is that I will just panic and move. I have the same fear at the dentist. The entire time I have stuff done my brain is screaming “RUN”

@snowtrekker I went through a birth centre for my second and they don’t encourage intervention.
I however wasn’t expecting back labour.
I laboured for 40 hrs and had 3 hrs of active labour. He turned around in the last 10 min. It was agony.
All unmedicated.
I walked away with some serious trauma from it. And physical injury.
Medical intervention is good, it’s okay and it shouldn’t be demonised.

@dannyw I had a 40 hour induction and pushed for 4 hours before a vacuum was offered. I took it almost immediately because I was just absolutely exhausted. A vacuum assist was definitely on my list of do not wants, but there was no way he was coming out without some help.

@nikolai35 Honestly the exhaustion was the main killer for me. I nearly passed out during pushing because of the constant pain I had been in for 2 days.
I was so worn out.
They literally checked me the first day and I was only 3 cm and I had been in agony for 10 hrs by that point.
This is why I cannot compare my birth story to others, neither of my birth experiences were the same, how can I understand what someone else went through if I can’t even comprehend what happened to me.

@nikolai35 Was also induced, my labor was short for a FTM at only 15 hours but I too pushed for 4 hours of it. Absolute insanity, and I had a vacuum assist as well, baby absolutely would not have come out without help.

I am still coming to terms with that, as well as the rest of the stuff that did not go to plan. Episiotomy and a 2nd degree tear, plus I had a pretty serious pp hemorrhage which caused me to miss out on a lot of things that first night after birth (feeding, first diaper change, etc.) I was lying there completely spent, not allowed up out of bed, in pain, and with tubes coming out of every hole down there. I’m still mourning the birth experience I didn’t get to have. :(

@dannyw My VBAC induction was longer. I went in at 8 am on a Monday, they placed the cooks cath. That night it came out and we started low dose oxytocin. On Tuesday at 11am my water was broken. At 10 pm on Tuesday I got the epidural. At 10 am Wednesday, my baby was born.

Back