A FTM birth plan thrown to the wind

@snowtrekker If I may ask, what is the appealing of laboring and delivering interventions/medicine free??

I don’t understand why modern medicine wouldn’t be something to take advantage of to make this process as easy as possible.

@newsgurl Not OP, but there is an element of risk to anything and for some folks, the risks associated with an epidural or other intervention are less desirable than the risk of being in pain. I had an unmedicated labor 7 weeks ago and genuinely had a good experience. It was intense and it did hurt but it was overall very powerful for me. I feel like I had less pain even than some people who did get epidurals, whether because I had a variety of pain management tools to use the whole time, because I was lucky, or something else, I don’t know.

I had multiple plans for any which way labor went- with back labor like OP, I likely also would have sought pain relief. Also if I had needed to be induced. But neither of those things happened. It’s all about what feels best to the individual :) also I don’t think labor and delivery is ever easy, whether you have every intervention and medication or none. It’s hard work.

@snowtrekker Back labor is no joke! With my first (now 20 months), I had back labor. It was quick and VERY intense (14 hours from first contraction to delivery. At the time we were on the second floor of a duplex, with a lot of stairs… Long story short, I waited too long, and we called an ambulance to take me, because there was no way I could sit in the car with the back labor I was going through. Once I got the epidural, it was easy breezy. But, like you mentioned, getting an epidural while having back labor is the worst.

With my second (3 weeks old), labor, progressed very quickly. Three hours from first contraction to Delivery… With horrible back labor. This time, I was too far along to get an epidural or any pain medication. The anesthesiologist wouldn’t have gotten there in time 😩. I can’t believe I made it, honestly haha.

@snowtrekker For my first, I planned to just use nitrous oxide but I was open to the epidural if I decided I wanted it. I really wanted to go for no epidural, though. Oh boy, did I WANT IT. I begged but I arrived at 8cm (very quick labor) and they didn’t have an anesthesiologist available so they told me they would put in the order but it was unlikely. He walked in while I was already pushing. Thank goodness for the nitrous otherwise I would have panicked myself into disaster - I already felt so out of control and had a hard time focusing and pushing. Having a mirror to see my son’s head helped me a lot. I’m switching to a closer hospital this time in hopes that I can get an epidural and can hopefully be more centered for the birth. I’m glad I did it once, and I might have to do it again, and it was all fine in the end - but it was a lot 😅

@snowtrekker Omg same! I wanted a completely natural birth. Everyone on my care team, except my doctor, was on board. She wanted to use pitocin to speed up delivery, not because I needed it.

Long story short, woke up early Friday morning to horrible back labor. Tried all the things, shower, walking in my bedroom. Etc. couldn’t take it anymore and went to my hospital. I was only 3cm. Left, came back at 4-5 cm and they admitted me because I wanted something for the pain. I lasted until 6cm before I got the epidural. Had baby Saturday evening after four hours of pushing.

No one told me I’d be so numb I couldn’t feel any of the muscles needed to push 😅

I also want to add there is no medal for suffering. If you need help, then take it. It’s okay. Just because women have done it for thousands of years, doesn’t mean it HAS to be that way. I think if there was such a thing back then they would have 1000% had an epidural.

If you can go 100% natural! That’s awesome! If you get an epidural, then that’s awesome too! Anything to get that baby(ies) here safe and sound!

@snowtrekker I also dilated 9 cm in 5 hours after getting the epidural. My body needed to relax to open up. I always wanted an epidural though and will get one again if we have a second!

@snowtrekker Our babies and bodies laugh while we are busy making plans!

I’m so happy for people who are able to follow the plan they’ve set, but to get too attached to it to the point they’re either having a breakdown when it doesn’t go they way they hoped or to put themselves or their baby in danger trying to follow through with their plan breaks my heart. The most important thing is that it’s delivered safely and has a mom that comes out of it safely too.

I barely had time to get a hospital bag ready let alone make a plan….she came 10 weeks early (preeclampsia)!

@snowtrekker Awesome job!! Knowing when to accept help when you didn’t want it is the ultimate bravery in my opinion!! I wanted a vbac so bad only to find out 2nd trimester that I had placenta previa so yeah ” best made plans” and on the 3rd time I was just like “yep when are we scheduling this c-sec”

@snowtrekker I highly recommend waterbirth (the warm water and being weightless is amazing relief!), a Bradley Method birthing class (husband coached birth to help release all the oxytocin) and @painfreebirth on IG. Helped me have a pain free birth with no tears w a 98%tile baby!

@dominga I wanted to do a water birth but my contraction pain was in my thighs as well meaning that standing was all I could do as it slightly eased the pain putting pressure on my legs

@underlord553 Did you get in the water? The most uncomfortable part of birth for me was tightness in my inner thighs in between contractions when I was trying to find a relaxing resting position. The the warm water and weightlessness made it go away instantly.

Back