Your easiest, tastiest meals

@sorrymom That sounds good. I could see adding some feta and calling it dinner with bread. Could do this really fast if we didn't plan on leftovers and used some frozen veg. Thanks.

Oh and
Make some freezer meals on the weekend

An 8x8 disposable pan holds half of any 9x16 “bake/casserole” recipe. So for one recipe, you can get 2 separate meals. And it’s enough for 2 adults and a toddler. Each 8x8 pan also fits in a gallon ziplock. Use a straw to suck out air and seal it tight.

For about 2 hours of prep, I was about to get like 10 8x8 bakes ready to freeze. Many of similar ingredients, which makes it super easy. I did breakfast ones and dinner.

Same with crockpot meals, you can create dump bags with everything prepped, just needing to go into the crockpot with maybe 1-2 other things. Again, many ingredients are the same so you can bust out a lot pretty quick.

I did this when pregnant with both of my kids and it helped a ton when we didn’t feel like cooking or didn’t have time for whatever reason.

@machia My family's high maintenance enough (it's complicated) that there's no weekend reprieve for cooking catchup right now but I am thinking through your tips and wondering what I can freeze when there's time to cook "for real." Thanks for these concrete tips, will try to use them.

@kgy0001 Slow cooker pork! So easy and can be used for so many different things. Add pork shoulder/butt to slow cooker with a chopped onion, oregano, salt and pepper or add onion garlic, lime juice, orange juice, and taco/fajita seasoning and cook for 8-10 hours. You can do tacos, burritos, enchiladas, rice bowls, quesadillas, add to pasta, pizza. It’s so versatile and so many leftovers.

Salmon or fish in the oven is also really easy. On a sheet pan with a marinade, spices, whatever you have and cook at 400 for like 15-20 mins. I will usually pair with green beans that cook in the microwave and rice (get a rice cooker!). Again super easy and not a lot of clean up!

@blueangelspirit Will do the pork-- thank you so much for the recipe.

You know, we'd made salmon with olive oil, maple syrup, and fresh rosemary so many times it was like a staple. Then after a couple years we got tired. I need to come up with a new marinade and revive the salmon/fish dinner. Will do. Thanks!

@kgy0001 Southern living southwest stew. It does benefit from a sliced avocado but with one arm… no worries. You can make in a slow cooker too! I usually throw in cans of green chopped chiles (hatch) and anything else in the pantry that sounds good: more herbs and spices. rotel, white beans, frozen southwest corn, cans of corn. Top with sour cream or Greek yogurt and some avocado or chopped herbs. To bulk I’ve also added quinoa in with some extra liquid to make it a heartier stew.

1 (16-oz.) jar salsa verde (herdez is fine, don’t worry too much here)

2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth

1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed

1 (15-oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes

1 pound shredded smoked pork, without sauce (most groceries sell pork bbq without sauce, it’s near the prepared packaged meats and potatoes normally)

1 teaspoon ground cumin

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cook salsa verde in a large saucepan (i do mine in a Dutch oven, or dump into a crockpot… don’t worry too much about this!) over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and next 4 ingredients, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.

@kgy0001 I had a hard time finding just un-sauced shredded pork for a few years, but I live in the south of the US. 😂! Welcome! I’ve used rotisserie chicken too - and thrown in way more spices! My husband loves it too, it’s always a winner.

@kgy0001 I saw you said you had an instant pot. This recipe is sooooo easy and my kids inhale it: https://iwashyoudry.com/instant-pot-spaghetti-and-meatballs/

I also do jar Alfredo sauce with frozen or fresh store bought tortellini, chicken tenderloins pan fried for 3 minutes a side and microwave steamed broccoli, grilled cheese with fancy cheese and lunch meat and sourdough bread (paninis) served with store bought tomato and bell pepper soup, pot roast in the instant pot or slow cooker, tacos and quesadillas with taco meat I made earlier in the week, baked salmon and green beans in 1 casserole dish

@gemzworld29 There is so much here and it sounds so good, thank you!

>>grilled cheese with fancy cheese and lunch meat and sourdough bread (paninis) served with store bought tomato and bell pepper soup,

Done, I have a panini grill. OK, so-- grilled cheese, boxed tomato soup. Maybe the next time, ham and cheese, different soup. or same soup.

>> chicken tenderloins

Have been noticing these in the grocery but didn't have the wherewithal to experiment with them despite envying the smell of frying cutlets across the hallway. WILL DO. Thank you!

@kgy0001 Ground meat, black or kidney beans (or both!), plus jar of salsa - if you have an extra few minutes, chop some onions and red/yellow/green pepper to sautee before throwing in the ground meat (beef, chicken, or turkey work best). Jar of salsa goes in last, bring to a boil and then bring down to simmer for about 5-15 minutes.

I add lime juice and a tablespoon of red wine vinegar once it’s all cooked.

In total takes about 20 minutes and most of the time is letting the meat and beans simmer in the salsa.

Add shredded cheese, tortilla chips, tortillas, or serve on sweet potatoes or with rice.

@kgy0001 I’ll cut up a smoked sausage (like a turkey kielbasa or even ham lunch meat, sautée in coconut oil then add a big bag of frozen fried rice, then add a couple more eggs once it’s almost ready. If I have veggies on hand or going bad I add them. This is a quick easy one! Also, everyone likes breakfast for dinner even if it’s just eggs and toast with avocados. We do a lot of meals of cheese/veg/hummus/fruit/crackers etc and call it tapas, that’s the fastest of all if you keep a variety of veggies around, and it goes great with wine for the grownups!

@kgy0001 Thank you! You’re right, eggs are key- you could also hard boil a bunch at the start of the week, etc! My kid is grown now but I spent so many working mom years just trying to keep it together and keep it nutritious and it’s not easy! I was like, when do people find time to go to the store!?! I took a cooking class yeeeears ago that was based on making sure your kids get nutrition despite it feeling impossible, and I still use that info. The most helpful tips were- if you add beans you’ve done a good enough job on this meal (beans are super nutritious), keep avocados, one veggie they like, and eggs on hand. And as long as you’re presenting a variety of food that has healthy elements it doesn’t need to be in a ‘main dish, side dish’ form. One pan meals, tapas style and soups are lifesavers!

Back