Baby is barely taking bottles but eats 3 full meals a day

@chriscomplex My goodness these comments are spinning my head. The Ped recommended them because she was a premie. And ive just kept it up. But ya, she’s getting iron rich food so they aren’t necessary anymore.

@max2800 Maybe let em keep weaning off, and switch to milk in a few months.

Also, my babe goes back and forth on accepting formula or not

@max2800 My first born was this way. Around 10 month he became totally disinterested in formula - gp said since he’s already eating dairy in everything else (his porridge, cheese, yoghurt etc - to make the switch to cows milk. This still didn’t go down well with him and by 12 month he was refusing all milk not mixed into food. Gp gave some vitamin drops, and now at 3 years old, the ONLY way he will even think of having milk is in a bowl of cereal (even then I think he only started enjoying that bc it’s what mum and dad eat every morning). Some kids just decide they don’t like milk. But as long as they are getting the nutrients they need, one item not being in their diet isn’t going to cause harm.

@max2800 This comment section is wild. You are doing an excellent job! She's a happy, healthy, and independent eater. That's the goal! I wouldn't change a thing and would continue to follow your child's lead. Raising an intuitive and independent eater is the goal. That's the whole point of baby-led weaning, which it sounds like you're doing. Check out r/babyledweaning; I don't think that crowd would have the same reaction as this one.

And as for over-feeding, it actually more likely to overfeed with formula than by letting your baby make those decisions with real food. The whole point of BLW is to let your baby decide when they're full. Remember this for the toddler years: you offer the food choices (ie healthy options on the plate) and they decide how much of what goes in their mouths.

I just wouldn't stress over this. It's not worth your mental health. Your kid is doing great.

FWIW, I've weaned two kids both with BLW (and breastfeeding). They both cut down their milk intake significantly around 10 months and were only on 2–3 short feeds/day. Mostly for the comfort at that point. With breastfeeding, you don't even know how much they get. My pediatrician was happy with everything I've done and there were no concerns that they weaned too early or weren't taking enough milk. Oldest weaned completely at 14m youngest at 13m. They eat diverse foods everyday and have never slipped from their growth curves.

Again, you're doing great. It might be worth it for you to have a chat with your healthcare provider though for your benefit. While you're there you might consider asking about PPA. I'm a little concerned that you've spoken with your ped a couple of times about this and they've reassured you that all is well. You seem to be fixating on your child's food intake. And I get it, you mentioned you're a picky eater and that your baby was born prematurely. That can cause stress and anxiety. It might be a good idea to talk to someone about this. Postpartum anxiety affects so many of us in so many different ways and can hit at any point within the first year. Take care of yourself mama. Your baby needs a healthy you. The best thing you can do for your child is be healthy yourself. Wishing you well.

@please Thank you. I’ve talked to my dr and we have increased my anxiety meds and I’m going monthly for check ins. I was an anxious person before pregnancy so I kinda expected it to go this way. Minus the scary pregnancy and premature baby. You’re right though. She’s happy and healthy, I should be too

@max2800 Until the age of 1, formula or breast milk should be the primary source of nutrition. You should offer the formula first and then offer the meal 30 min to an hour later. At 9 months, I wouldn't stress about getting 3 meals in as it's truly for exploration and practice since they should be getting all nutrients from the formula.

@max2800 Listen to your pediatrician, not these random people on Reddit. If your pediatrician is cool with it, then it’s fine. If you don’t trust your pediatrician, switch pediatricians.

@hurdygurdyman And as long as they are at a healthy weight. My pediatrician was totally fine with us not having much formula by that age as long as she was eating iron, calcium and protein rich foods.

@hurdygurdyman Our clinic actually doesn’t schedule you with the same pediatrician every visit unless specified and I don’t specify because I’d prefer the varied opinions. 2 different ones in the last month and a half and both were very happy with where she’s at. She was in the 6th percentile of premies when born so we all pay very close attention to her growth charts

@max2800 Solids aren’t just for practice. They are an important source of nutrients. However, the milk is more important. So you should give a full feed to milk and “top off” with your solids and let baby eat until they are done. I did BLW with both my kids and they ate lots of solids before age 1 but they never stopped their milk.

@mattmatt1073 She hasn’t stopped. Just not as much. And I said in another comment but not in the post that I use drops suggested by my Ped that provide extra iron in all her bottles so she is getting that too

@max2800 Ahh I think I missed that comment. Fwiw, my kids didn’t decrease amounts of milk. I think I meant decrease, not stop. Stop completely would be a huge concern! I would def put in a call to your pedi about the iron drops, but in my oldest’s case, the extra iron they were taking was no longer required once the consumption of iron rich foods was at a good level. Which happened before age 1.

@max2800 It’s so hard to know what to do. Sometimes Google even makes it harder!!
I hope that this doesn’t come off as condescending, but you are doing a great job momma ❤️

Back