Who here has a mediocre relationship with their sibling(s)?

@ernesjohnson me! I was adopted into a family, my dad had 3 kids already 10+ older than me

They came around a bit when I was younger, but when my parents divorced when I was 8 I never saw them again.

I'm 26 now and still don't know them. I've tried man, I've sent fb friend requests, msgs. anything to try and reconnect because I don't have any other family other than my daughter now, but nothing

They want nothing to do with me and I don't know why. 😕 I was just a kid when everything fell apart, I don't know why nobody cared. Definitely less than mediocre

@ernesjohnson I could’ve written this. I just have a very blah relationship with my sibling - nothing majorly problematic we’re just very different people and like all family relationships it’s a complete lottery as you don’t choose them - it’s just one of those things and yes I feel the same when only children mention longing for siblings I think they are imagining a perfect sibling relationship that patently rarely exists in reality.

@ernesjohnson 🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️ My brother and I maybe text 3x a year. Haven’t seen him in person in around 5 years. He’s a nice enough guy. Just maybe not the best conversationalist. My husband is same with his sibs. Is cool with one brother but they maybe talk once a year. The other sibling there is little to no contact. No family drama or ill will in either case. I think people forget that kids grow up and get involved with their own families and just aren’t as invested in their family of origin.

@ernesjohnson My sister died when she was 28 years old. It was devastating as the younger sibling to now be an only child even as an adult. I don't know if this applies here, but it is a thing that can happen.

@ernesjohnson I have a great relationship with my younger sister. She's one of my best friends. It wasn't always like this but we got closer as we reached adulthood. Our younger brother was the whimsical, ADD free spirit. We really didn't get along with him but it got better with age as we learned to accept our differences in personalities and sought to understand each other. Family was very important to him. He was killed 4 years ago.

Back