When did you stop tracking everything for baby (e.g., nursing sessions, wet/soiled diapers, sleep duration, etc.)?

@chuy Yes! My baby would BF so frequently but for very short periods of time, so it was driving me crazy to try and keep track of it. I wish I had just stopped tracking feeds and focused on diaper output to make sure she was eating enough.

@chuy Stopped tracking when I realized I always forget to stop the breastfeeding timer. I’d check back on the app and it’s still counting at 200+ mins 😂

@chuy I guess everyone is different because if I didn’t track there is no way i would remember when baby ate or slept last and it really helps me figure out what she wants!

@chuy Ugh yes. It was a huge project to input anything, my brain just does not go there. The only thing I kept track of were my pain meds by texting dad “took Advil” “took Tylenol” and checking the time stamps later if needed haha.

@jesusistheanswer1 Thats a good system. They really need an app to track OUR schedule in those first few months.. how much did I eat, did I pee more than once today, have I had anything to drink other than coffee?!

@chuy I still remember when I had my first cup of coffee two weeks in, after avoiding it because it takes a little longer to prepare than a can of Diet Coke and I was worried about it spilling and burning the baby.

I think when that first sip hit my lips I made the same face the baby does when he’s been screaming and finally latches onto a nipple.

@christiangirl94 I’m a nurse, and this maternity leave is the first time in years that I haven’t been legally obligated to document someone’s intake and output. I’m not tracking jack shit.

I just feed her if she looks hungry and nudge her awake if she passes three hours without eating. I set aside six diapers on the changing table at midnight. If she uses all those in one day, I assume she’s fine. If not, I’ll push more feedings. So far, she’s been blowing through those six by early afternoon.

@casintexas2 You've put into words why I am so frustrated about tracking and it's only day 5. I do this for work, I don't want my baby to be work.

Once she's back up to birth weight and we're discharged from the jaundice clinic I'm going to stop.

@bandit We're almost at a year, and still track sleep for this reason. I just don't want to do baby math, but he functions better with wake windows. We stopped tracking feeds and diapers when he started eating solids, and only track diapers when he seems to have a reaction to something and we have to go back to food journaling (cows milk protein and egg allergies, plus some food intolerances)

Back