Using friend’s breastmilk

chrysanthemum43

My LO is 3 months old & ive already had mastitis 2x, killing my supply.

My period also seems to drop it a little too.

I nurse him and then offer a 1-2 ounce bottle after, which he always drinks.

My friend’s baby just turned 1 and she has about 300 oz of extra milk she gave me. He drank it just fine but has since pooped 4 x since yesterday, which doesn’t typically happen.

Is it her milk she drank? Should I keep trying? I feel like breastmilk is better than supplementing with formula?

@chrysanthemum43 If the baby is showing any signs of discomfort other than pooping, you might have an issue. If you are only noticing an increase in poops, I think you're fine. I would give the breast milk a chance.

@chrysanthemum43 My EBF baby used to poop every diaper for awhile. There’s a huge range of what’s normal for breastfed poop- conceivably it could vary not just baby to baby but also milk supplier to milk supplier. I would continue a few days and see if baby shows any other signs of issues, otherwise consider it ok.

@chrysanthemum43 Lol ahh I’m remember the 3 month old poops. Until they start solids, 100% breastfed babies poop a lot. Mine pooped almost every 3 hours or every other diaper change.

@chrysanthemum43 Great comment already.

Breastmilk will definitely impact stooling patterns - formula can be quite binding due to the mandatory iron added in there so mums are often surprised when they compare diapers appearance/frequency.

Cheers!

@chrysanthemum43 Your baby could have an intolerance to these things.

When my LO was introduced to formula she started pooping upwards of 7x a day. Mucusy :( turns out she had CMPA with a reaction to milk, corn, soy…

Is your LO having excessive gas since starting your friends milk?

As far as feeding the milk it’s fine. I received a bunch of donor milk from Facebook human milk for human babies..