They called us in for the conversation we very NICU parent dreads

szilvia

We are on week 10 of my 24 weeker’s NICU stay. Her course has been complicated by a difficult resuscitation at birth requiring 26 minutes of chest compressions, and then seizures starting a week after her birth.

Recently, the team came to the conclusion that her spasms are not seizures, but rather myoclonic jerk. They’ve been messing around with her medications for weeks now trying to get the right balance to stop the spasms but not sedate her too much. Most recently, they’ve decided to wean her phenobarbital and keppra and just keep her on klonopin. This week has been rough with all the changes and while her spasms were controlled for several weeks in a row, they’ve been back.

Another change this week was that she has a new doctor (new to us). We’re at a teaching hospital and the neonatologists take turns on the teaching rotation. I thought we’d seen them all by now, but for the past 7 days we’ve had Dr V for the first time. Last week, another doctor was preparing her for extubation. This week, V says that he will not extubate because she doesn’t have a gag reflex. This was the first we ever heard of this and we are so confused. She’s had extubation trials before and no one ever mentioned it. I can’t find a ton of information on absent gag reflex in preemies, so if anyone has experience with this I’d love to hear about it. From my google searches, it seems that using gag as the sole criteria in extubation is outdated, and that gag is absent in up to 1/3 of people. I don’t know what to think.

All the things this doctor says he’s looking for and not seeing, we have seen so many times and have pictures and videos of! He says she doesn’t have spontaneous movement, and I say she moves her hands to her mouth all the time. He says “maybe her hands end up there.” ?!?!?

Today he called my husband and I in after we asked too many questions at bedside. He said she’d likely need a trach and have “very poor” neuro outcomes. She may not know who we are or have meaningful interaction with us. She may not walk, talk, or eat on her own. He said we could also consider withdrawing care.

I think I’m partly venting but I’m also looking for success stories or advice… to us it seems impossible to consider letting her go. She DOES interact with us already! She tracks with her eyes when she hears me talk, she rubs her head around when I hold her skin to skin, and we see her react to all sorts of stimuli when she’s not so heavily sedated. I feel crazy. Like I’m being gaslit. What have you done if you’ve ever had “the talk?”

@szilvia No advice other than call for a care conference and and to bring back a neonatologist you trust. I would immediately call for a second opinion.

I’m so sorry 😞

@jsw3883 She has a different doctor starting tomorrow thank goodness. This one was pushing for extubation just a little over a week ago. We will for sure be asking lots of questions.

@szilvia Good!! I can’t imagine what you are going through but trust your instincts if it doesn’t feel right keep fighting and asking questions until it does.

@szilvia I also just want to say, if you’re a family in which they don’t “beat the odds” (whatever that looks like or feels like for you), that is okay too. I don’t know if my 24 weeker technically “beat the odds” because he didn’t come away from the NICU unscathed and has multiple diagnoses. But, he definitely beat some odds.

I say this, because, I was you, in a way. Wanting to have that crystal ball and know that everything was going to be alright. I wish someone could give that to you, give that to all of us. But, it’s also really hard if things don’t turn out the way you imagined from here on out - for me, it felt like I had further failed. When, logically, I know that’s not true.

You’re doing an amazing job advocating for your daughter. I hope you get clearer answers from the switchover tomorrow. Also wanted to note that I’m also a loss mom, who, ultimately decided to TFMR and essentially withdraw care for our daughter before having our 24 weeker. Any decision we make is one from love and care. None of these decisions are made lightly, and I truly hope you get some positive news and answers. But, if you don’t, just know you’re not alone.

@patti1950 Thank you for your story and kind words. ❤️

I know everything won’t be perfect. She’s at risk for so many developmental problems. I just want her to be able to love and be loved. As long as she’s still fighting, I will too.

@szilvia It’s very clear she is so loved and well taken care of by you. She’s so lucky to have you advocating for her!

You can do this. We’re behind you and here for whatever comes next. Keep asking those questions and being an active advocate on her team.

Also - take some time for yourself to decompress tonight, if you can. This is such an emotional journey, and you need to take care of yourself, too. You can’t pour from an empty cup.

(ETA - we also had the trach conversations with our guy - he was extubated for good at 10 weeks old - 34+3 - thanks to the DART protocol).

@patti1950 We’re watching a movie as we speak ❤️ doing something unrelated to the NICU in the evenings is one of my recommendations for new NICU parents and it’s good to remind myself of that too!

@szilvia My little one didn't have to fight as hard, but I know this dr.'s attitude and am wary - trust your gut and get a second or third opinion. Take more videos for proof if you have to.

After all, babies with developmental problems (and anyone else) still respond to better treatment, care, and love. You're doing the right thing asking the right questions.

@szilvia Ask for a family meeting with all of the specialties within the next week. This should absolutely include neurology. Ask about an MRI of her brain prior to the meeting. It’s a hassle to get one on an intubated baby (in my facility, an intubated baby travels to the mri room with an RN, RT, and NP or PA), but if they’re starting conversations like these, it’s a piece of the puzzle you absolutely need to have.

@anonymousln She actually had an MRI a couple weeks ago and it was normal for her gestational age. This doctor thinks she might have a brain stem injury that’s too small to see on MRI.

@szilvia Is there any actual evidence of this supposed brain stem injury? I know that was their first - terrifying - thought, but I was under the impression that she improved with different meds. A clean MRI is a really big good sign, so I would definitely not accept the idea of a brain stem injury based on what is beginning to sound like more of a hunch than anything.

@jordanconnect Just her myoclonus and she may have some delays in tracking with her eyes/responding to stimuli. However, she DOES respond and she is improving with time. This doctor just said he hasn’t seen it. 🙄 We asked the social worker today if he could be removed from her case and she said it’s not a problem.

@szilvia I wish I had some real advice for you, but all I have is that your baby has already been through so much and has outperformed the expectations of doctors.

You need a care conference and a second and third opinion from doctors you know and trust. This doctor has known your baby for a week, other doctors have been with her much longer and know more about her particular case.

You and your baby have been in my thoughts so much, and I will pray for you and her. Please keep us updated when you feel up to it. Sending you so much love and hugs!

@jordanconnect Thank you ❤️

It feels good to hear that we need to continue advocating for her and fighting for her. I think our fear is the possibility that we keep pushing her after it’s far too late and she’s been in unnecessary pain, but I just can’t imagine we’re there yet. I asked her nurse today if she expected that conversation right now and she did not.

@szilvia My full term son went through a hemorrhage and HIE in July and though it was a fairly mild case, he did have some seizures and we were terrified of the outcome. So many people including doctors reassured me that baby brains are so plastic and adaptable since they’ve got a blank slate to work with. My son is only 3.5 months old but he’s already smashing his milestones. He’s just like any other baby his age despite requiring extensive resuscitation at birth including a blood transfusion.

I’m sending you so much love and strength. Being a NICU parent is so hard. It sounds like your daughter is already so aware and such a fighter. My son went a really long time without sufficient oxygen and lost almost all of his blood yet was also doing the things you mention your daughter doing in the last paragraph, and that is what gave me hope in those very dark days. Keep the faith and hope for the best, these babies are resilient as fuck. ❤️

@katrina2017 Thank you ❤️❤️❤️ I just went through all her PT notes and they all say that she’s increasing her purposeful movements and getting more alert. I just feel like this one doctor is gaslighting me in a way…. Thank you for sharing about your sweet baby. I’m so glad he’s doing so well!

Back