STM’s, did you actually “bounce back”?

@soikeoworldcupxemkeo Yeah, I hate admitting it out loud because I know it can make some women who didn't get as lucky feel terrible, but...I was shocked how quickly I stopped looking pregnant. I took these pics on day 8. Now, at that point I wasn't as lean-looking as I'd been before pregnancy, and I definitely felt a core strength difference (stomach felt very soft, even when flexing as hard as I could). But for just normal "out-in-the-world" interactions, you'd never suspect I was less than 2 weeks post-partum.

It sucks going into pregnancy, because it's such a crap-shoot how your body will respond and you have no idea what will happen for you until it's over. It's just so much uncertainty with no way of really predicting what your experience will be.

@soikeoworldcupxemkeo Same here. the day after birth I only had 2 kilo more and 1 month after looked already not pregnant with my stomach already flat. I attribute this to years of top sports. I did run until week 33 during my pregnancy and exercices in the day of my delivery and had no noticeable issue. This was weird also because aside from exercising regularly but really slowed down I did not put much effort into it. Im 5’1 and ended up with a 4,3 kilo baby. So all that really is so weird. the other weird part is that everyone would congratulate on me not liking pregnant anymore (which I found really sad because we are all different and the bounce back culture is so bad on women), while I was crying in front of my mirror because my belly went away too quickly.

Edit: I was 41 when I got my OAD. So really didn’t expect to bounce back at all.

@cuteness20 I did not. I worked out and lifted heavy throughout my pregnancy and now 16 months postpartum I’m still way above pre pregnancy weight. Breastfeeding made me put on weight rather than lose as my supply tanked if I didn’t eat enough and I was always starving, I think that’s just a genetic crapshoot as my sister was the same. Still trying to carve out more time for working out as I hate at home workouts and I’m not a runner but it’s really hard to find time to go to the gym while working full time and wanting to still spend time with my 16 mo old. Hopefully over time I’ll make more progress but this is where I’m at for now

@cuteness20 I think a lot of it has to do with your habits after birth as well. Some people who develop PPD or PPA might have a difficult time living a healthy lifestyle/motivation.
I’ve also heard that you bounce back a lot easier when your breastfeed or pump for the first few months because your body stores fat during pregnancy specifically for after birth!

@boyofthefuture My understanding is the weight loss benefits of breastfeeding don't quite kick in until closer to 6 months. I think it was something to do with babies increasing calorie needs around that time. But based on my research and conversations with my PCP and OB - it is way more common than people realize to not lose any weight and sometimes gain weight with breastfeeding.

@boyofthefuture This seems 50/50 on the breastfeeding. I EBF and I had so much trouble losing weight because anytime I did it too fast my supply tanker. That and having PPD with my first was super difficult

@creexpl In my experience, I lost nothing while breastfeeding and in fact it actually hindered my fitness by forcing me to be an actual couch potato. My baby nursed every 1-2 hours for 9 months and would only nurse lying down. He refused bottles so I couldn’t leave him with anyone for long periods, plus he wouldn’t nurse “out and about” so family hikes etc were off the table.

It’s only now at 13 months that I’m finally able to exercise daily and that’s because I’m back at work and doing it on my lunch break.

@cuteness20 I think it depends on what you mean by the term “bounce back.” You’ll never have the EXACT same body you had before pregnancy, but you can be just as healthy or fit. Meaning, you’ll likely walk away with a looser tummy due to extra skin, looser skin on your breasts, wider hips and for many of us even your facial features change…. Even your hair texture can permanently change! But you can achieve the same level of strength or fitness that you held before. It just may look different. Learning to adjust to that is key to loving your postpartum body.

@megahunky This! I got fitter/leaner/stronger after having babies than I ever was before, but I have a belly button hernia and DR that can’t be fixed without surgery, so I’m never going to have shredded abs again. Plus my boobs are saggy now. Some things never “bounce back,” unfortunately.

@megahunky I hate this narrative that women have to accept and be happy about changes to their bodies because of the children that resulted from the changes. We can both be bummed about the changes and be grateful for our kids.

@hailsatan420 Not a narrative, and I’m not suggesting it’s unacceptable to be bummed about the changes. In fact it’s quite normal to feel some sense of loss when confronted with your postpartum body for the first time.

But, it cannot be changed and in due course acceptance is paramount to mental health and overall happiness. Rejecting it and mourning your pre-baby body is not sustainable. Not to mention it pushes the idea that “bouncing back “ is an attainable and realistic goal, when it is not.

We have all heard the salesman: special creams to prevent or get rid of stretch marks, diet pills, belly binders, etc….. there is a whole industry based on us hating our postpartum bodies.

@cuteness20 One of my best friends is in the best shape of her life after having 2 kids. Her younger one is 2.5 years old so it didn't happen overnight but she stuck to a healthy diet and continued working out. She's bounced back and then some if you ask me! She is also currently 36 if that makes a difference.

@cuteness20 Yep. I only started getting in shape 3 years after my first. I lifted heavish throughout my second pregnancy which made it so much easier in terms of birth and recovery. I'd say I was fully back to myself by 6 months pp.

Of course, daily habits have more to do with it than genetics. Not gaining more than the recommended weight, and jumping back into a healthy lifestyle after.

@cuteness20 Best shape of my life after baby 2. Didn't work out pregnant just stayed active. This is baby 3 and continuing my OTF routine. Curious if the bounce back will be any different.

@cuteness20 Genetics is definitely part of it, but I also think what types of exercise you did are important too. I think it's easier to bounce back if you were doing strength training before/during pregnancy as muscle will burn more calories even at rest vs someone who was doing mostly or purely cardio.

And PPD/PPA absolutely affects this as well.

@cuteness20 I did not. After my first I didn’t get back to pre pregnancy weight until he was 2 years old - a combo of breastfeeding, bad food habits etc. Got pregnant with my second immediately after reaching pre baby weight. She’s 10 months and I’m heavier than I’ve ever been. I also had stretch marks this time so I think it’s partially enduring another pregnancy, plus being tired, older etc. I have mostly been frustrated this time around with my lack of endurance and lack of progress I’m making getting back in shape.