Spam me with your *aspirational* parenting habits for your 3-5 year old

@yahwhshua Not op but I do this with my 8 month old. I do an ab routine which uses her as the weight and do a bodyweight exercise routine in her playroom. At the minute she plays while I do it but I'm hoping as she grows she will join me in doing some movements like squats.

@rapberrylatte Of course a free for all wouldn't be. Choices within healthy boundaries are great. They develop independent thinking and problem solving, and help grow kids who don't need an adult to dictate every decision in their lives.

@rapberrylatte Ironic. I provided an example of how it's a bad idea to make a complete generalization, like you did in your first post, and you responded by making another complete generalization, clearly having learned your lesson.

Hope you aren't a parent yet. You've got a little growing up to do.

@charles1014 Oh, this is interesting! As a SAHP I am trying to think of what I aim for every day, but I have really leaned in to the Type B and/or child-led approach. In addition to what you already listed...

We read at least 5 books a day.

At least 15 minutes of song & dance together.

At least 1 creative art activity per day (even if it's just coloring). My kids love crafts but this also really helps develop pre-writing skills and dexterity, and is also a chance for creativity.

At least 1 gross motor activity inside (practice throwing/catching a ball or stuffed animal, practice jumps/somersaults, kids yoga, kick a ball, etc).

She helps cook something probably at least once a week.

Veggie, fruit, and protein served at the main meals, with healthy snack options in between.

We always eat dinner with the entire family together (breakfast and lunch are split up due to school/work schedules).

Snuggle and affirmations at bedtime and wake up time. I also make sure to tell them how much I love being their mom.

We try to walk around outside and greet the neighbors 1-3 times a week. Not the same neighbors every time, but we have a few that we like to say hi to or make art for. Great for social skills & sense of community, and also she knows who she can go ask for help in the event of an emergency. This is also extremely helpful for kids who sometimes sneak out or go outside without permission - everyone knows my kids and knows where they belong. We also have returned a neighbor's toddler home when he snuck out. It's so good to know your neighbors!

I would also aim for some independent play time - kids do not need to be directed and entertained by adults 100% of the time. It's good for them to develop independence and self-directed play.

@charles1014 My son is 5, but since he was about 3 we have:

Practice flossing every day, twice a day, with various tools: floss picks, regular floss, interdental brushes, water flosser. Talk about oral hygiene and bacteria and how cavities develop. Talk about how good it feels to have a clean mouth. Practice using a tongue scraper, and of course brushing with an electric toothbrush.

Practice making the bed, putting dishes away in the sink when done, and putting away shoes.

Practice proper hand-washing.

Count all the things, add and subtract objects and talk about math.

Learn a new science fact every day.

@charles1014 No screen time at all is very aspirational! Our kids watch tv for a half an hour twice a day, and at that age especially we focussed on ‘one educational show a day’. Recently my 6yo brought home a package of math work and whenever he could he coloured the numbers ending in 7 as a rainbow, because in the show number blocks, number 7 is a rainbow. He must visualize the number blocks in his brain when doing math work, and I think that’s kind of great.

Another suggestion would be to create something every day. Colouring, playdough, baking, whatever you like, but exercise those creative muscles together.