So they don’t wear coats?

mcdiggety

Lots of battles with my seventh grade daughter to wear a coat to the bus stop when it is 33 degrees outside. One day I drove her to school and noticed that the overwhelming majority of kids don’t wear coats. Is this a phenomenon everywhere? It is trendy to shiver in the cold?

@mcdiggety I saw a post yesterday that described it perfectly:

(In David Attenborough voice)

“After wearing it for their entire childhood, the human teenager must shed their coat and brave even the harshest cold in order to prove their strength and attract a mate. In fact, wearing a coat is seen as a sign of weakness amongst their herd”

SO ACCURATE I laughed way too hard. I have a 15 year old daughter that left the house in 22 degree weather yesterday wearing baggy cutoff knee length pants and a flannel.

@mcdiggety My daughter hates a jacket because then she either has to wear it all day or it takes up her entire locker. I see it. If’s rather be cold for a few minutes than have to deal with it.

@samuelh24 They’re not allowed to wear coats in class at my daughter’s school.

So she has to shove it in her locker and it’s in the way all day and she says what’s the point of wearing it to go in and out of the building. She won’t freeze to death for the short walk to and from the pickup line.

That’s when I quit fighting her about wearing one.

@samuelh24 Yeah this is true. Their lockers are so small. My daughter has a band instrument and sometimes a small duffle bag for sports and a lunchbox - the struggle is real.

@mcdiggety Yeah and then also help me understand hoodies in the summertime.

Edit: no word of a lie, I once saw a kid walking down the road in one of those acrylic knit sweaters, and a beanie with a pop pom, and jeans.

Plot twist: it was AUGUST in FLORIDA.

@christtoulese I once saw a group of teenagers in August on a hot day at the Kentucky State Fair in full long-sleeved, heavy goth garb and makeup. I was impressed with their commitment to the identity and look.

@mcdiggety I work in a high school. They don't like jackets and have not for a very long time.
  1. School lockers are tiny, and mashing a parka in there or carrying it around all day is annoying.
  2. Parkas are uncomfortable on the school bus.
  3. They just don't like them.
I stopped forcing my son to wear a coat to school when he hit middle school. It's simply not worth the agita. If your child is of normal intelligence, they know when they are cold and how to act accordingly, and they are old enough to accept the consequences if they don't act accordingly.

@mcdiggety Often kids don’t even use their assigned locker these days since they have so little time between classes.

And jacket?! Be glad you don’t have a boy who still insists on shorts. Kidding/not kidding